World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Me and my brother were out fishing on our boat just off the coast of west cork and we saw what appeared to be IMO a ray jumping from the water. Whatever it was, jumped 3 times about 3 feet into the air, it seemed to be white but that could have been just the underneath and flapped its wings in the air. I have never seen anything like it so I went looking on youtube and found videos like this " http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RKJsMzGOo0&feature=related ". Now I know that Ireland is a bit outside the manta rays territory but I was wondering if any of the local rays have ever been known to act like this. Any theories?
Cheers,
Colin.

·
Banned
1,597 Posts
Looks more like a flying penguin after 10 views:roll1:

OOps sorry, I have no idea but the video is most certainly captivating.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know, you should look through the related videos aswell, Theres one of about 20 rays jumping at once in some kind of display. Its pretty amazing

·
Banned
1,597 Posts
I know, you should look through the related videos aswell, Theres one of about 20 rays jumping at once in some kind of display. Its pretty amazing
I had a look and was laughing at them all.:drunk:

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Have seen stingrays jumping clear of the water before ,could have been one of those?Dont know why they do it though.
I too have witnessed stingers breaking the surface but only in shallow water when hooked.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Looks like a Eagle Ray to me... They do some times come up to the west coast during autum. There have been a few people killed by them jumping on small boats etc, but thats not in the uk. I dont think we get the big suckers they do in places like the azores/maderia/florida etc.

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya,

any idea what depth of water it was in ??

I'm pretty certain some of the Ray's chase each other about a fair bit prior to mating, if the water was shallow enough they could easily breach when doing this.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Looking at that video this one came up, different angle taken by diver from below, you can see it building up speed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it was reasonably deep water i think ... hazzarding a guess i.d say 30 meters... i never thought of rays as the jumping type ... it could have been any type of ray as i only saw it at a distance..i definately didnt have a take as i was trolling an otter board out the back for pollack and the ray was to our left a good bit away...thanks for the replys ... its good to know it wasnt a case of ocean madness.

·
Official Jokes Forum Examiner
61,171 Posts
Hi,
Me and my brother were out fishing on our boat just off the coast of west cork and we saw what appeared to be IMO a ray jumping from the water. Whatever it was, jumped 3 times about 3 feet into the air, it seemed to be white but that could have been just the underneath and flapped its wings in the air. I have never seen anything like it so I went looking on youtube and found videos like this " http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RKJsMzGOo0&feature=related ". Now I know that Ireland is a bit outside the manta rays territory but I was wondering if any of the local rays have ever been known to act like this. Any theories?
Cheers,
Colin.
tis a strange one , as mostly all the rays i have caught tend to dive to the bottom , when nearing the surface .

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Eagle Rays live slightly differently to other rays in that they spend alot of time free swimming. They are really active swimmers.

They're diet of invertibrates and shell fish means they dont have to spend much time on the bottom hunting/waiting for a meal to come by, they get to move around alot more and root out shell fish, sea snails and the like.

·
Registered
217 Posts
in a crazy coincidance, i was fishing from a boat in penzance on the august bank holiday when a similar thing happened. We had just got to the wreck and started feathering for mackeral. Before the boat had stopped one of the other guys had started paying line out cos there were so many mackeral showing. Before the boat came to a stop he ahd a full house on the tinsels, they were just on the surface as the tow from the boat had lifted them up. We then saw what looked like a massive ray or similar breach the surface as if chasing the hooked mackeral. The guys i was out with were all local to penzance and had been fishing there for years and never seen anything similar. Afterwards in the bar the conclusion was that it was a big blonde ray. Apparantly netters have taken them in deep water when fishing pilchards etc. Strange thing to see though, especially in 200 feet of water!!!

·
Registered
399 Posts
sunfish?..
i dont think so, i saw a sunfish jumping last year and it didn't flap like that it was just a flat shape jumping through the air and not that quickly. it was more of a flop.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts