World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<font color='#000000'>I have never taken to coarse fishing but have been looking at their techniques to see if sea anglers have anything to learn.Unlike the latter who&#39;s techniques have &nbsp; fundamentally changed little since the stone age there appears to have been a lot of thought applied to their art especially amongst Carp fishermen.Amongst their baits are &nbsp; things called Boilies which include such esoteric flavours as Tandoori and Turmeric.Are we missing a trick here and are fish adapting to the junk food so beloved of our young and sea anglers &nbsp;

Are we playing too safe and fear being ridiculed by fellow anglers when we attach bits of burger steak,chips (now known as fries I understand) or hot dog sausage ?</font>

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Hi Professor,

Only me again, dont you think it&#39;s about time you stuck your head in a bucket of water for five minutes to see if you would drown? Please try it and let me know if it works.

Cheers,

Drew</font>

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<font color='#000000'>Constructive criticism is welcome.I meant to have also added that seeing the streets near takeaways being hosed down on Saturday mornings and thence to the sea we are missing an ingredient in our weekend bait.Should we marinade it in 10 pints of Lager first ?
Seriously though I watched a Mullet suck a piece of bread flake 6 times without disturbing my quill float on 4lb line so I can quite believe your observations on bait being sucked by black Bream.Probably because mullet feed by browsing algae off of seaweed surfaces.What is the natural food of Black Bream ? What was in the stomach contents when you analysed it ? &nbsp;These are the things we need to know if we are to go foward.Toodle pip
</font>

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<font color='#000000'>A classic example of thinking your way around an intractable problem was devised by Carp fishermen.Carp have no teeth and squeeze food between pharyngeal plates further back in the throat where it quickly detected the hook and rejected it.For those not familiar with the technique a bristle was added in front of the hook bend on which the bait is threaded leaving the hook between the fish lips.Quite important as Carp are always released. Q.E.D &#33; &nbsp;Might work with Black Bream ?They are available ready made in tackle shops.I refuse to be out-thought by a fish with a primitive brain &#33;</font>

·
Registered
568 Posts
<font color='#810541'>You can ponder and pontificate as much as you like, but nothing, and I mean NOTHING, can beat getting out there and trying it for real.

The only difference between a good angler and a bad angler is the time and effort they put into their fishing. &nbsp; Fishing is a practical subject, and will never be learned from a magazine or website - although these are great places for picking up info/tips to try out.

Coarse fishing is not as &#39;wild&#39; as sea fishing, and no doubt the fish behaviour in enclosed environments has been manipulated by anglers. &nbsp;This is possible in the sea under certain circumstances - for instance you can &#39;train&#39; mullet to feed at a particular spot - but in general you have no control over sea fish.

Regarding fishing tactics: IMHA the key to success is simplicity - why complicate things

Keep up the provocative posts Prof, they certainly are entertaining....</font>

·
Registered
7,887 Posts
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Quote (The Professor @ Sep. 11 2004,09:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><font color='#000000'>What is the natural food of Black Bream ? What was in the stomach contents when you analysed it ?  These are the things we need to know if we are to go foward.Toodle pip
</font>[/b][/quote]
<font color='#000000'>Small fish; shrimps and small prawns; brittle red seaweed; small hardback crabs; badly-presented mackerel strips off other anglers&#39; hooks....

(based on 20 years of fishing for them)

Cheers - John</font>

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Hi John,

As you fish in Cardigan Bay, and I on the South Coast, I am sure it is not my badly presented Mackerel strips that your Bream are feeding on.

All joking aside, when Bream fishing with Mackerel strips, have you never retrieved your line to find your hook stripped of flesh, leaving just the skin? If not, I would be grateful for your method of bait presentation. I use about a  2" strip passed through the hook twice skin first, leaving a 1" tail.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Cheers,

Drew</font>

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
<font color='#0000FF'>Why the name Professor? Are you actually a professor or ist is that you like to profess about things? I can see your point about trying different baits and would agree with you that some fish that feed in areas next to large urban areas do indeed eat food that would otherwise be meant for human consumption.

Take the mullet for example they generally live in marina&#39;s and what do people use as bait to catch them? Bread and where might that source come from? People.

As you may or may not know sweet corn is not easily digestable by the human stomach and so is passed into the sewage system. I fish a sewage outlet pipe near my house and find that yellow beads on hooklengths seem have more of an effect then hooklengths without, the only reason that I havnt tried using sweetcorn is that it is difficult to get to stay on the hook during casts.

I would say to throw caution to the wind and try a variety &nbsp;of foods as baits around marina&#39;s and other places where food may be discarded into the sea. You never know your luck and may come up with a winning formula and when you do lets us know and prove the sceptics right or wrong.</font>

·
Registered
7,887 Posts
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Quote (Drew @ Sep. 12 2004,18:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><font color='#000000'>Hi John,

As you fish in Cardigan Bay, and I on the South Coast, I am sure it is not my badly presented Mackerel strips that your Bream are feeding on.

All joking aside, when Bream fishing with Mackerel strips, have you never retrieved your line to find your hook stripped of flesh, leaving just the skin? If not, I would be grateful for your method of bait presentation. I use about a  2" strip passed through the hook twice skin first, leaving a 1" tail.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Cheers,

Drew</font>[/b][/quote]
<font color='#000000'>Hi Drew,

I think that&#39;s a far too long strip of mackerel. Scale it down a bit. It&#39;ll sure encourage big fish but a 3-lb-er will grab the 1-inch tag and savage it to the point that all the flesh up the hook shank&#39;ll get shaken loose. Use a 1" strip threaded up the hook (I use size 1 Mustad Viking pattern with a 1/4 inch tag of snood sticking from the knot as a holder) past the eye with just 1/4" free at the end. First couple of snaps at the bait and the hook&#39;ll be in there. Percentage of hookups ought to improve a lot that way. Same applies to other bream baits like squid, and the gooey offerings I mentioned earlier which are deadly. Good luck&#33;

Cheers - John</font>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts