World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
should you count crabs,starfish octopuss,blennys etc as proper catches,i sometimes say i only caught crabs for a laugh but there are times when im glad to pull anything out of the water,what do you think...:g:

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
should you count crabs,starfish octopuss,blennys etc as proper catches,i sometimes say i only caught crabs for a laugh but there are times when im glad to pull anything out of the water,what do you think...:g:
Dont think you should be counting starfish ,crabs octopuss,etc.
blennys are ok as they are a fish, if it has gills,fins and swims and is a fish, not a starfish it counts:)

G

·
Disagree with slayer on Octopus.

I'd far rather catch an Octopus than a blenny and have often purposefully targetted squid and octopus. Delicious.

A big edible crab or a lobster is a golden catch, but shouldn't really be counted.

To be honest, when you go fishing, don't you know what yo are likely to catch?
I only actually go to target one or two species on a particular trip, if I catch them then the trip has been a success.
If I fail and catch junk fish then a failure.

Tom

·
Registered
157 Posts
Depends how desperate you are to avoid a "blank". If you are really that concerned about catching something/anything then claim what you like as a catch (bagged two bits of kelp a plastic bag and a sea leatuce yesterday!) otherwise stick to just counting the fish which you are fishing for!!
PS not many guys really care how many pout you have caught in 2007 and the only purpose listing it all serves is to make posts sooooo long you can get just two posts on each page of a subject!!!!!!!!

G

·
Depends how desperate you are to avoid a "blank". If you are really that concerned about catching something/anything then claim what you like as a catch (bagged two bits of kelp a plastic bag and a sea leatuce yesterday!) otherwise stick to just counting the fish which you are fishing for!!
PS not many guys really care how many pout you have caught in 2007 and the only purpose listing it all serves is to make posts sooooo long you can get just two posts on each page of a subject!!!!!!!!

Posting for no particular reason, but becuase I agree entirely with KTM and I am being somewhat sarcastic to those who's signature reads a little like the one below.

Tom

PS: It's only a joke lads!

Species in 2007

Rockling 7 Best 4oz
Pout 15 Best 8oz
Dogfish 4 Best 1lb 2oz
Seaweed 30 Best was 2 bits in one cast
Mackeral 225 Best was 12oz and part of a 90 fish haul, half of which we had to leave on the beach 'cs we couldn't carry them all.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I'd mention anything that counts as a notable catch I suppose. Anything with fins and gills counts (I actually had a fun afternoon catching blennies on a carp rod last summer, nothing else about), octopus and squid, why not?

I would draw the line at crabs, although a massive one has to be worth a mention, same with lobbies, actually thinking of going for them this summer as I had several fairly hooked in mush last year, smaller hooks and I reckon I can get some decent ones. Don't knock them, a half decent one puts up a fair scrap on a carp rod when you get them close in!

Species lists? Not for me I'm afraid, especially the 'Pout - 382 this year'. To be honest I lose count of what I catch in a session if the number gets above about three!

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
agreed numbering the fish cought is a bit stupid, as for thee spieces count for the year surly thats not a bad thing and something to aim to beat the following year,
saying that i supose you could just keep a record of the spieces that you have hade this year in a folder on the pc, i think ill keep myn as my sig for now as its not taking up to much room

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
agreed numbering the fish cought is a bit stupid, as for thee spieces count for the year surly thats not a bad thing and something to aim to beat the following year,
saying that i supose you could just keep a record of the spieces that you have hade this year in a folder on the pc, i think ill keep myn as my sig for now as its not taking up to much room
Due to wonders of Medical Science, the Crabs have disappeared. When you are a blankerman like me, even Seaweed or a Plastic Bag can have a significant impact on one's life.

Now I have matured into a non-blankerman-beach fisher, I feel more confident in my abilities. The Octopi were an accident, I was fishing for Bass:clap2:

I mean if you look at I think it is Highwayman's Bio, his best catch was a 16lb Rockling!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
It's called "fishing". Therefore, anything that isn't a fish should not count. But at the end of the day it is up to each individual what they do and do not want to count.

Do tampons count? :unsure:

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Very immature but,,,, If you've caught crabs you better tell the doctor! Hehehehee, that really wasn't funny but it amused me.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i wonder if THOSE crabs peel:g: ............:) maybe they are worth collecting,might need small hooks though.....lol

·
Registered
184 Posts
Due to wonders of Medical Science, the Crabs have disappeared. When you are a blankerman like me, even Seaweed or a Plastic Bag can have a significant impact on one's life.

Now I have matured into a non-blankerman-beach fisher, I feel more confident in my abilities. The Octopi were an accident, I was fishing for Bass:clap2:

I mean if you look at I think it is Highwayman's Bio, his best catch was a 16lb Rockling!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ive progressed from seaweed and plastic bags,last night out i had a piece of drift wood boy o boy did that put up a nice fight.!!!!:fishing: did you enjoy the trip ???? would you prefer to reel that in or watch telly?????,ill reel; in and enjoy any day of the week.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ive progressed from seaweed and plastic bags,last night out i had a piece of drift wood boy o boy did that put up a nice fight.!!!!:fishing: did you enjoy the trip ???? would you prefer to reel that in or watch telly?????,ill reel; in and enjoy any day of the week.
totaly agree with you,i once caught a piece of kelp attached to a huge rock and i swear it put up a fight,almost lost it a few times as well but it was firmly hooked i landed it after 20 mins,took a quick foto and let it go........if you could eat kelp my freezer would be full.......:)

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
It's called "fishing". Therefore, anything that isn't a fish should not count. But at the end of the day it is up to each individual what they do and do not want to count.

Do tampons count? :unsure:
Sorry about this, totally off topic.

In French tampon means a stamp, as in a rubber stamp and wax as in candle wax is Fart!!!

Too much wine with supper.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts