World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What am I doing wrong? I thought fishing the a big swell or just after produces bags full of cod? Am I missing something like...
On Sunday me and Lee went for a few chucks and that's exactly what it was, a few chucks haha no fishing involved at all. the swell was bigger then anticipated(15foot) and if you can imagine just chucking your full rig setup into the washing machine and putting it on super spin, that's what it was like.
We decided to save our bait for another day.
On the Monday I was finnished graft pretty early but Lee had something on so cudnt come neither could jacky so I went on me tod.. the sea was much better but I wasn't, I fished 2 hours either side of high water with mussel, baby squid and blow lug, 7oz grip leads and the usual pulley pennel setup and caught diddly squat!!!
I even tried enhancing the flavour of the baits with pilchard oil but nothing worked. I thought there would be loads of cod feeding coz the day before when me and Lee were there, the sea in front of us was just like the froth off a pint. every worm and crustation must of been ripped out of its hiding place and spat out for every fish to feed on so where was the fish? Cant really call Sunday a blank but tonite was, little bit gutted with that 1 coz i went with high expectations coz of the swell and really thought I was gunna get something nice tonite.
Never mind cant catch fish everytime out, it wudnt be as good next time if i did

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
You need to keep it simple mate find a mark and Keep fishing it over and over at different stages of tides and weather etc until you’ve cracked it then move on to another mark and do the same again in time you will start to build a mind map of where fish’s best in what conditions I blank a lot less now very little actually all because of this hope this helps mick

·
Premium Member
6,590 Posts
Hiya Micky,
I agree with what mick (ccm) said in the above post i'd also add that sometimes on the beach (around my patch anyway) it's hard work straight after a blow because there's literally just too much free food about which reduces the chances of a fish finding your tasty bait among all the other shellfish & worm being washed about.
Might be worth trying that spot a day later next time there's a blow.
Tight lines.
Rick;)

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Dont worry about it mick this time of year can be really hit or miss . Its normaly more miss than hit too or has been over the last few years ... theres always the chance of some nice fat pigs though so keep at it ....
I was out last night after work dont normaly like fishing hi water .. but gave it a go anyway sea dropped too fast for my liking . Anyway had 5 casts on one mark for 2 whiteys, moved to another mark and had 2 chucks for not a touch . So home time it was ... couldnt bring myself to waste any more of these .....

First blank of the season in 8 sessions .

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks lads all this info really does help, it all makes sence really. I'm hitting a deep water mark on Sat i think/hope that will be a bit more productive.
And I think ill be sticking to cullercoats south of harbour for my low water shot to master the mark

·
Registered
444 Posts
Micky.. we all go through that stage mate.. we question what were doing right or wrong.. most reasons are that there are simply no fish there lad. Keep doing what you're doing and you'll catch that biggun! I'm in Oz and missin our coast so much you wouldn't believe.. on my way back, bait on order though, so should be out friday, mark yet to be decided!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
youl not believe the amount of stuff iv been questioning mate haha its stupid really, I started to blame my hooks for some reason (I dont know why coz there fine). Ended up ordering loads of "sakuma manta 545". The sakuma's are really sharp but feel a little bit too bendy mate i hope they can cope with a big pig, the last thing I want is to finally hook into a biggen and for the hook to bend out mate.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Sakuma manta best hook on the market. If u want a beefed up version go for the manta extra ..... but kiss good bye to your rig if u get your hook plugged over rough ground cos they do not bend. I use mantas all the time ... swap to a manta extra if i am fishing any where with a big lift ..... id concentrate more on location and good bait more than hook choice atm if i was you though micky .

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sakuma manta best hook on the market. If u want a beefed up version go for the manta extra ..... but kiss good bye to your rig if u get your hook plugged over rough ground cos they do not bend. I use mantas all the time ... swap to a manta extra if i am fishing any where with a big lift ..... id concentrate more on location and good bait more than hook choice atm if i was you though micky .
Thanks mate, im gunna limit myself to fishing a couple of low and a couple of high water marks so i can refine them instead of rocking up all over the place wherever looks nice and thinking im gunna catch fish any state of the tide ha. the reason I went with sakuma manta is coz theres alot of excellent reviews on them for rough ground. I just got a shock coz I've never seen a hook bend like it does when tying me knots like

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can't catch what's not in front of you at this time of year is always slow even after a good bit of weather but always the chance of that better fish just have to stick with it don't knock yourself down with the lack of success it'll come good at some stage i wanted to fish last night would of been nice fishing as that sea fell away but couldn't make it might give it a go over low water of the beach but again that's not till 4am lol if I can be bothered seas dropped off now but you never know until you try
4am?? Fooooo, Your keen mind haha you definitly deserve a fish going that time of day mate, I'm up dunstanburgh at the weekend atleast if i don't get a big fat cod I can reduce hook size and fish for a coalie off the cliffs to save the blank lol

·
Registered
49 Posts
youl not believe the amount of stuff iv been questioning mate haha its stupid really, I started to blame my hooks for some reason (I dont know why coz there fine). Ended up ordering loads of "sakuma manta 545". The sakuma's are really sharp but feel a little bit too bendy mate i hope they can cope with a big pig, the last thing I want is to finally hook into a biggen and for the hook to bend out mate.
Hi Micky, like everyone is saying, I reckon sea fish aren't too picky and if they came across your bait you'll catch. Chances are they just aren't there. Chasing sprat, engrossed in a freshly exposed lugworm bed 250 yds out etc etc. This is at least how I justify my blanks, bait cash lobbed into the sea! I think we just need to keep attacking it, and eventually the conditions will be right to bring the fish to your baits. I'm no expert mind, not at all

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Micky, like everyone is saying, I reckon sea fish aren't too picky and if they came across your bait you'll catch. Chances are they just aren't there. Chasing sprat, engrossed in a freshly exposed lugworm bed 250 yds out etc etc. This is at least how I justify my blanks, bait cash lobbed into the sea! I think we just need to keep attacking it, and eventually the conditions will be right to bring the fish to your baits. I'm no expert mind, not at all
I all makes sense mate just been out tonite with not much success but my cousin cought himself a nice little rockiling(new species for him) and my mate jacky cought a canny size dab, I was only targeting big fish using massive baits and blanked, well that's my excuse anyways lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.