World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Sole Man!
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's lot's of talk of this weekends neap tides, both on & off the forum.
Is it me going mad?
my timetable says sat morning tide height Newport scale is 12.2M.
That's a midrange tide to me , certainly not a neap.
If people are thinking of fishing the peat banks at Redwick they're going to get very wet.
brolly
:nonono:

·
Sole Man!
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
up this end you can fish on or around the peat banks in certain places on tides up to 10;5, I'd call those small.
Up to 12;5 will push you up to the wall, i'd call those mid & anything above that will rip the **** out of your rigs garnering the title 'spring' because that's what they'll do to your weights!! :yeah:

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
well they certainly aint small tides this weekend...i'm with Brolly...mid range certainly friday when i'm hoping to go!!

john

·
Registered
146 Posts
This saturday......

Low Tide 04:52 (1.90m)
High Tide 10:49 (10.50m)
Low Tide 17:05 (2.10m)
High Tide 23:07 (10.00m)

Sunday

Low Tide 05:22 (2.40m)
High Tide 11:22 (9.90m)
Low Tide 17:39 (2.70m)
High Tide 23:47 (9.30m)

small tides for newport

·
Sole Man!
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
those aren't right Martin.
I fished sunday & my tidebook said 14.1M & the tide was indeed rocketing in like a 14m tide, & a passing angler told me it as a 12m tide.:uhuh::uhuh::uhuh::uhuh:

·
Registered
146 Posts
those aren't right Martin.
I fished sunday & my tidebook said 14.1M & the tide was indeed rocketing in like a 14m tide, & a passing angler told me it as a 12m tide.:uhuh::uhuh::uhuh::uhuh:
depending on when you fished it was a 12-12.5 over the weekend.

14m would be MASSIVE

·
Registered
867 Posts
hi brolly just looked myself and it is just a normal tide up here in fishgaurd small tides from 3.10 to the big ones 5.00 and it is only 4.70 tonight m8

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
On small tides for safety reasons & on Sunday it is 34.6ft compared to 42.2ft next month our smallest is 31.4 ft so does that make next weekends tide a medium small? or a small medium?

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
Neap tides are middle of next week, Saturday is a mid range tide not a neap, and if anyone thinks it doesn't make a difference, and 1 metre in Fishguard probably isn't a lot, at Redwick it means the difference between staying dry and getting wet, and the tide will come in faster than you can hobble across the mud with all your gear. Stay safe! If you aren't sure, ask on the forum. Plenty of people know these marks and the best tides to fish them safely, use their knowledge.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
As has been said many times before, and I believe last week was the last post on this subject.
The sizes for the tides for fishing the Newport areas, especially of the peat ledges a always calculated from the Newport dock table (south key I think) and not from the tide datum used by the other tide tables. You need to add 1.7 m to all the other tables, Gary Evans being the exception as their table is already adjusted.
if you read the threads where 10.5m is safe off the ledges at Redwick etc and you don't add on the 1.7 m you can get in serious trouble on these marks. Check the tides before you fish, or buy a Gary
Evans tide table which give an accurate height. 8 inches to much tide with some wind and it gets wet and muddy as myself and Sewin found out last week, but we were at a mark we know well.

Tides for Sat at Newport 10.50 am 12.2m 11.08 pm 11.7m

Smallest neaps are Tue 13.22 at 10.5 m, great tide if the wind doesn't cause to much swell.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
il 2nd saveing on all the confusion get a garry evans tide time book no nonsense of adding 1.7m its always been my first and most important purchase in january worth every penny of £2.50p

·
Registered
176 Posts
On them sites, you need to add 1.7m because they are taken from chart datrum stats. Same as in the arrowsmiths book. Garry Evans book, already adds the extra to it

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
thank god for that then
i can almost plan my days off for the whole year when i get the new one in january

·
Registered
141 Posts
It's 8.50 M at Port Talbot for Sat' morning. Low Pressure could add a foot or more to this. Being an occasional angler i've often been surprised by tidal heights at certain times of the year the reason for this i believe is the seasonal/equinoxial upheaval that turns things a little **** - eyed. . Tight Lines t'ya!

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
NEWPORT

Friday Night 10.6m

Saturday Night 10.0m

Easytide Tide Predictions.:yeah:

we was going to fish st brides this week but chose to fish cardiff
Foreshore due to the small Tides!!!!

Nice One
Nathan...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts