World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya I used to fish with my dad when young and obviously as I grew up I sadly got out of it. Now really got back into the outdoors and have had this sudden urge to start fishing.

My father is going to send me some old rods and stuff, I'm wondering though what you guys would recommend for a good basic start kit? Lines, weights, rigs, baits or lure?

I'm wanting preferably to be fishing for mackerel and bass. I live in Dorset in Swanage so for the start I'd be fishing of the beach there. Is the fishing good of Swanage beach does anybody know?

I'm also going to fish responsibly I'm not going to be greedily pounding away at getting and keeping as many fish as I can.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
what rods and reels will u have available ? if your just starting again then mackeral will be a nice introduction you could spin with small toby type lures or set up a heavier outfit and use feathers and a lead.
don't know the area but if know bass are there then darkness trips or very early morning when it's still quiet with running ledger and worm baits on a single hook around 1/0 or 3/0 ...or a whole squid on a pennel rig with a pair of 4/0s for the better fish

·
Registered
83 Posts
If you're looking to catch bass and mackerel, get yourself a couple of metal pirks, anything around 20-30g will do the job, they're a good all rounder and you'll have more fun than using feathers. Tronix Pro make some really good pirks and they're not too expensive either.

For line, get some braid as it will make the casting easier - the diameter of braid is around half that(or less) than mono, for the same breaking strength, which will enable you to cast further. This will make fishing with lures easier. Daiwa X5 is a good price for a decent braid - around £12 for 150m (dont bother with the cheap Chinese stuff from ali express, amazon etc)

Might also be worth buying a few pack of small size sabiki lures (size 12 to 16) and a few 1oz leads, Sabikis are like feathers, but imitate plankton rather than baitfish. You can pick up a whole bunch of species on these, such as pilchard, herring, mackerel, whiting etc.

You could probably get kitted out with all of this for about £25. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
9,813 Posts
Hi Jason, Welcome to WSF, depends on the fishing gear you get sent?. If just want a few fish, Mackerel, Gar, Bass look for lures or even float fish set up, at the right time of the year, you have some of the best fishing in your area of the UK.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I recently moved to Weymouth and got back into fishing. I set my self up with a spinning rod and reel (that i double as a float rod), and a beachcaster and larger fixed spool reel. For round swanage id suggest similar - off the beach with a 2 hook flapper, running ledger, or 2 down with beads for flatfish, - that beach will throw up all sorts i imagine - or if you can fish off the pier/harbour wall - id spin for bass/mackerel with metal lures, or float fish a strip of mackerel/squid for mackerel, or garfish - maybe a bass. you could also fish the bottom off the pier/structure for wrasse, pollock, etc.
id imagine the far east end of swanage beach to be a bit rockier - worth investigating, for eels, bass etc and there looks to be lots of structure the other end near the lifeboat - you have a huge coast to explore when you are allowed to travel - but looks like lots of good spots on your doorstep!
id start to gather some pre tied rigs, lures, sabikis/feathers, and look online for catch reporst in your area - you rlocal tackle shop will be able to help - when they open again!
good luck & welcome!

·
Registered
210 Posts
kimmeridge ledges are probably good, and studland in the summer - I'd love to give chapmans pool a go sometime too - hell of a hike back up - but I bet there's some big fish in there!

and of course - when you can travel - weymouth chesil beach are a short drive!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts