World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Todays trip didn’t start well. I’d been out on the p1ss with the missus all day yesterday, and as a result wasn’t at my best this morning, or this afternoon, or this evening for that matter. Rumours of Roker and Codling had my juices flowing after a month or so lay-off, so I took the long walk wishing the ground would open up and swallow me, which it occasionally did.

Three rods went out – squid in a d-vice, a close-in dabby dabbler and a 6/0 pennel just in case. I settled back to wait for my head to stop spinning and noticed the tiniest of knocks on the fish rod. Sitting on my hands waiting for that Roker to move off got a bit dull after 15 minutes, so I hauled it in to see what was going on.

This was

greedy.jpg

Just how big do the hooks have to be to put these things off ??!!!!! Bigger than 6/0, that’s for sure.

The day passed with a steady stream of Whiting ranging from microscopic to just under sized, with the occasional tommy thrown in. Here you go Shirl – just like a cod only smaller !

pico cod.jpg

The walk back was worse than the walk up, as although the hangover had started to ease I took a wrong turn and ended up in the shingle. Sweating one’s lungs out is not a good idea when under the weather, so the sight of the seawall was a major relief.

A fun trip nevertheless with marvellous weather ( most of the day spent in t-shirt and jeans ), although this did mean the meercats were back. A steady stream of fish albeit tiny ones in a relaxing environment was just what I needed.

Until the next time…… hopefully not another month away.

G

·
So you went to St Osyth for a change then. :roll1:

I stuck a whole squid out yesterday at Brighton on a 4/0 pennel and the result was a small whiting.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
'twas a strange day Neil - nothing at all to squid, but fish and worms ( black and blow ) did OK.

Congrats on the Brighton trip - a few lovely flatties there.

·
The Cod Obsessed one.
15,553 Posts
Brilliant report as ever.

I now use a 10/0 pennell rig to deter the sea rats.
Stainless steel hooks are best in the bigger hooks as they hold a sharp point better than bronzed hooks.

·
Registered
7,320 Posts
theres nowt like a gear laden stomp to sweat out a day on the lash ray,seems to be the pattern this winter(i use the term loosely
) many a report of whiting and small codling,still the roker are showing as the sea temp hasnt dropped that low this year,has the terrain changed much after the battering its taken?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A bit more rubble Dale and the shingle has covered the front of the dunes, but other than that it's pretty much as it always is.

Tide run was interesting though - there wasn't any ! Well, not much to speak of. It wasn't a particularly small tide - sort of upper middling really - but there was almost no pull. Looking back towards the bar I'm sure I could see it above the water at low tide ( I got there very early as I needed the walk to be slow and leisurely ), so it may be that the tide run has been re-directed a bit further out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts