World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been in Aberdeen for a few months now and my fishing gear is due to arrive in a few weeks time.

Can anyone tell me whether I need any permits or licences to fish from the shore here in Scotland? Any other advice would be much appreciated as I've no idea what fish there are and how to fish them!

Thanks in advance,
Jason

·
Registered
66 Posts
You only need a permit or licence to fish fresh water in the UK, so all of our coast line and estuaries are free with no licence or permit required (yet) as for best baits and tactics, have a look on this web site for rigs and species (look to the left of your screen ;) ) for local fishing marks try asking in a local tackle shop.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Hi m8 welcome to the forum

No you dont need any licences to fish in Scotland, if you are going to be fishing fresh water locations you will more than likely need to buy a permit from the landowner, sea fishing is different...no permits no licences... :D

check out previous posts as to what species you can expext to catch around the Scotish coast

all the best

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Jason

If you see marks posted on the forum such as the following - they are all close to Aberdeen. (Try doing a search of the Scottish forum for them)

Cove, 3 miles south, cod, pollock, coalfish, conger, dabs, mackerel, long and short spined sea scorpians a few others occasionally.
Portlethen, 6 miles south - same species as above
Downies, 7 miles south, same as above
Newtonhill, 8 miles south, same as above
Muchalls, 9 miles south, same as above

There are many, many more marks heading further south, mostly with the same species, but strangley, at Todhead near Caterline, there is a small area where the ugliest looking Catfish ever reside. The British rod caught record came from there, (not sure if the record still stands)

All the above are rock marks.

North there is not much for a while, as there are clean beaches for about 10 miles, where you get the occasional flat fish etc. The first notable mark going North is Collieston, flat fish with codling in winter. Then Cruden bay slightly further, same species as Collieston. These are also rock marks, and more continue North until you get to Peterhead. The stone piers can be fished, and you may get ling there. There is aa power station at Boddom just south of Peterhead, where I am told you can get Bass and Mullet (warm water from the power station attracts them), but I never tried for them.

There are tons of places to go - however, most of the fishing is rock orientated, and please take care, particularly in winter.

Feel free to ask as many questions as you like. There are a few people from the Aberdeen area on this forum.

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
116 Posts
If you are ever wanting a change from Aberdeen there are several good marks around Aberdeenshire. From the harbour and rocks at Gardenstown (Gamrie), to the rocks at Postsoy and the beach at Cullen, Cullykhan rocks, New Aberdour and marks in Macduff..
Incidentally the Scottish shore record Pollock was caught between Gardenstown and Pennan.
All of these marks are within easy travelling distance of Aberdeen.

Am in Aberdeenshire and am willing to give you plenty of help if you ever want to fish in these areas.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts