World Sea Fishing Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
That's a nice trout fishermann on my last visit back in the early summer I had one around that size on a PT nymph, 7 fishermen there fishing from the bank one fish between us. guy in a boat had two, nice day out but the fishing was somewhat disappointing,Dever Springs is well worth a visit next time your on the mainland.

Mick.

·
Registered
20,594 Posts
Counted my flies up a while back got nearly 3 thousand, one box I have is from when I first went fly fishing around 50 years ago back in those days the grey ghost was a very popular fly and I caught many fish on it also the dog knobler was another good pattern, always enjoyed stalking rising fish with a dry fly on a 4lb leader, most of the Trout fisheries here in this part of the Country have gone now lechlade is now the nearest to me.

Mick.
I always look at the English fisheries and think they are way too overpriced Mick......I see Two fish tickets costing £50
And think who is paying that to fish.....
I can fish all day catch and release on my local for £14...... And if I fancy taking a few home a 8hr five fish ticket will be £26......

·
Registered
184 Posts
It is a bit crazy I admit about some of the prices but here in the South that is pretty much the norm. The further you go North the cheaper it seems to get. I can have a weeks fishing in Scotland for the same price as a day in Hampshire.

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
I always look at the English fisheries and think they are way too overpriced Mick......I see Two fish tickets costing £50
I can fish all day catch and release on my local for £14...... And if I fancy taking a few home a 8hr five fish ticket will be £26......
Hi Murtha, a lot of the fisheries down this way are moving towards the big fish theme hence the high ticket prices, Trout of 20lbs+ are not uncommon from certain waters nowadays but it is becoming a rich mans sport, at one time I would fish a dozen times a year but now 3 trips are about my maximum because I cant warrant the cost involved. good to chat to you. Tight lines in 2020 my Bab.

Mick.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Ate half, the other half is in the freezer waiting to be smoked :BigGrin:. There are bigger ones in Dever and a few are coming out now. You might have to make the trip South and have a go. There was a fishery below Birdlip Cheltenham way I fished years ago but cannot remember the name of it now, had some nice fish from there, not sure if it is still there though. Fished Bigwell just outside Monmouth a few times and have had a 14.5 Rainbow from there a few years ago.

·
Registered
20,594 Posts
Hi Murtha, a lot of the fisheries down this way are moving towards the big fish theme hence the high ticket prices, Trout of 20lbs+ are not uncommon from certain waters nowadays but it is becoming a rich mans sport, at one time I would fish a dozen times a year but now 3 trips are about my maximum because I cant warrant the cost involved. good to chat to you. Tight lines in 2020 my Bab.

Mick.
Aye you too Mick.......my local is known as a bit of a big fish water itself......
If you're ever up this way tap me up and I'll get you the grand tour....:thumbsup:

https://woodburnfishery.co.uk/

·
Registered
18,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
20 lb trout are not uncommon . I used to grow them back in the day

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
My local fishery is (obviously now was) doing 4 hour sesh for a tenner until the end of April.
Normally a day ticket catch and release is £15, take 2 is £20, take 4 is £25 etc. Double figure fish in there too.
Just hope they are still in business when this is all over as a lot of their trade is direct to hotels, restaurants etc.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts