World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
The Podlie King
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a few of you guys on here use these (notably the guy who caught the Skate last year) so wondered if you had heard the sad news from Aberdeen this weekend.
A body was found on Balmedie beach by a couple walking their dog - police are investigating but believe he "fell from his Kayak".

I think conditions were fairly calm over the weekend so it just goes to show the dangers.

I had often read posts of folk fishing from these and once watched a couple of guys paddling around the cliffs south of Slains Castle - it appealed to me but now I am not so sure.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
hi,

its terrible that this has happened, and i sympathize with their family.

but there will always be dangers with what most people do, boating, motorsports,even summit simple like fishing , however they all do it for a reason,
they did something they enjoyed .

if you fancied kayaking go for it, just be careful and enjoy it.

all the best
Andy.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hi Briser,

I saw this in the news yesterday as well, very sad :(

The conditions have been good, but as we dont know what happened it could really have been anything and might have been nothing to do with the fact he was in kayak at the time. Maybe the guy had a heartie.

Don't let this put you off though, just let it be a reminder of our own mortality and encourage everybody to take safety seriously. Mind there are guys swept off the rocks every year as well, so its not just being at sea that carries a risk.

I'll probably be having a trip from Port Errol sometime so if you are interested come and have a look at my setup, and maybe a wee paddle to see how you feel.

·
Registered
187 Posts
never seen the article but its sad to hear /read . seen 3/4 lads in kyaks at the rocks at arboath prob about a mile out i thought to myself they are really ballsie and know what there doing or there off there nut and a bit silly would not b me but if its your sport then go for it.

·
Banned
400 Posts
thats sad news indeed, but its better than dying a decrepit old man or a fat loser in front of the tv.

its no shame to die doing the thing that you love.

·
Registered
61 Posts
A lot of pastimes have inherrent dangers. Skiing, hillwalking, the list goes on and on. Sometimes it is the thought of danger that attracts people, the adrenaline rush. Most of these pastimes although they have dangers are still pretty safe if people take the correct precautions. Having said that tragic accidents can happen even when fully prepared but then they can also happen crossing the road.

I still fancy one of those sit on top kayaks kitted out for fishing, hopefully later this year.

Thoughts go out to the paddler's friends and family.

LotI

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you fancy kayaking go to a recognised club and learn to do it safely. The first thing anyone learns when kayaking is how to manoeuvre and what to do should they fall in. It is always correctly assumed that you will fall in at some point. I would hate to think that anyone would go out and buy a fishing kayak and go straight to sea having never paddled before. I presume that the angler who caught the skate is an experienced paddler. There are risks in everything but at the same time there are ways of reducing risk without reducing fun. Surely it’s more fun when you are comfortable

1 - 8 of 8 Posts