World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
I know there a lot of you that fish the Lincs Coast and I would love some advice.
I live in Leicester and mainly coarse fish often from a kayak. But during hols in Wales ( 4 weeks in all )I take to the briney with the yak and have a bit of sport.
Now as Skeg/Chapel are only 70 odd miles from me it seems silly that I have never considered a trip over your way.

I am a Lincs virgin though. :mellow:
I know you have a run of smoothies along with the usual flatties, bass and mack in summer. I have all the safety gear, vhf, anchor life jkt and take things seriously. Even so I would probably not venture too far out for starters.

I would appreciate any advice on launch locations and marks plus tactics and baits.

Many thanks guys

Terry

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Hello Terry,

Use google maps and look at Huttoft car park, Chapel point or Sutton on sea ,they would all suit launching a yak.
Baitwise....peelers, fresh lug, blueys , mackie.

Have fun and don,t fall in.

cheers Simmo......:marinheir

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
With global warming ,who knows.

I think it may be into september but there are more informed people on here than me who will let you know......:marinheir

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Sounds like you are really after more local advice, I fish North Norfolk usually. Generally you can launch a kayak from most beaches the flat ones around Lincs would be ideal getting ashore can be trickier, its pays to have your rods flat so if you do get flipped they don’t get broke as they wrack into the sand and leash or hatch everything.

I’ve had a few small smoothies from the yak although crab is the best bait but they seem to take squid more readily offshore, party squid seems to have the edge. Both down and uptiding work, rigs are best kept simple a zippy slider with a 4 foot hook length 2/0-4/0 hook.

I see you are having thoughts on safety, I’ve found that its very difficult to plan a trip in advance its more of a case of going when the conditions come right i.e. light winds, calm sea and small tides to start with (coastal web cams are handy) and be prepared to cut your trip short at a moments notice if the conditions change. You will most likely find that you won’t have to go too far out anyway I catch a few fish and haven’t been more than a half a mile out.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PF, Thanks mate. Yes I know the problems of coming back in when I first started last year I was in Cornwall and got 'flipped':bangin:

I took my gear off the yak and spent the next hour practicing coming back in on a 3ft surf, good fun.

I have also spent a lot of time inland doing re-entries. This came to my aid when I got caught out in Wales earlier this year when whilst at anchor the wind changed suddenly and as I was reaching round to get gear out of the crate behind me I realised I was broadside onto the waves and ...plop!!!! I was in the water, I was amazed how easy I found it to get back on board, my only worry was if someone was watching. :bye2:

So far I've had huss, thornies, bass, wrasse, pollack, macks, gurnard, roach, chub, pike carp, perch from the yak and I have to say it's a great way to fish, still you already know that.

I cannot believe I have not ventured East before, I have always stuck to Wales for the sea yakking, I must change my priorities.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hi Terry, my mates brother has just brought a Kayak that has 3 ways to move it, the usual paddle, peddles like a pedlo and a small electric outboard, he went off huttoft car park for a short session about 300 yards out and was into smooth hounds straight away, I'm not sure but I think he also lives in Leicester? I will find out and send you a PM. Tight lines Rob.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hiya Terry,

I launched from the beach at Chapel Point a couple of weeks ago. The wife and kids stayed on the beach ! It was an easy launch there and the car parking is only a quid fro the day payable at the cafe. It was about 8ft deep 200 yards out at high tide but then I drifted North for about 500 yards and found 20ft of water 200 yards out.

I'm free on any Sunday if you ever fancy a trip.

Remember the piking on the Trent ?

Martyn

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Martyn, How are you mate. Yep remember it well, I have taken the grandson a couple of times and hes had pike there best about 8lb.

I am not sure when I am going to be able to get there with shiftd and family commitments but I definitely want a crack at the smoothounds before they move on.
It will probably be a weekday though. I will give you a shout when I get sorted see what we can fix up mate.

Not on AnglersAfloat any more??

All the best, see you soon I hope
Terry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts