World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
One Life - Fish it!
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody ever done this?

Wouldn't mind doing an article about it for the site, looks quite fun, almost as much fun as belly boating :D

Has anybody got any info about it?

MikeJr

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Just emailed a mate who is into yacks big style, I have asked him to come on the site to give us his input. He knows more about fishing from them than anyone else I know.

Over to you Yackety Yack?
:D

·
"Happiness is a tight......DRAG"
48 Posts
Hi All,

Chris asked me to pop in and have a chat about Kayakfishing.

Kayakfishing in the UK is in its infancy, but strong support is starting to grow.
Increasing numbers of people are recognising the potential of fishing from a Kayak, not to mention the advantages, and the fun factor.
I have spent more hours than I wish to remember, standing on a beach, looking around, and thinking, if only I could reach that spot over there, now with my Kayak, I can get there, quietly, with no expense, and relaxed.
My fishing was always a pleasure, now, its a passion.
Choosing a Kayak, rigging it to fish,and generally enjoying the experience is what its all about.
I am not an expert by any means, but have a little knowlage to share with anyone thats interested.
I am in the proccess of organising the UKs first Kayakfishing Tournament, to be held in May this year, the bank holiday weekend,in Exmouth Devon. weather permitting.
Some amongst you may think this is a little early in the season, I couldnt agree more, but being the first one, it gives me a chance to iron out any possible glitches, for future meetings when the season is in full flow.
Well thats a brief background of what its about.
Hope to hear from a few of you.

Cheers.

Yakity.

·
48 Posts
Hiya Beefcake.

Always a pleasure to meet another Yakfisherman.
What Yak do you own?
Wont be long now, summers on its way.
Went out with a friend today on the Yaks, not to fish, just to be there.
The sea was like a mill pond, a great morning.

Yakity.

·
One Life - Fish it!
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats great Yakity, sounds like a great way to go fishing!

Thanks for the info, I'm going to read over it a few times and no doubt...I'll have some more questions lol!

If you want me to put a press release or somthing on the site about it, let me know mate and i'd be only too happy to do it for you.

Thanks for the info.

Mike Jr

·
48 Posts
My pleasure folks.

Hope it was of interest to you.
If anyone is thinking of takeing up the sport, or wants to find out more, please get in touch.

Mike, ask away.....lol. Re the press release on your site, thats very kind of you to offer.
Everything that helps the sport is welcome.
How would you feel about covering the Tournament for me Mike ??
A good write up with some pics would be great.

Yakity.

·
One Life - Fish it!
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Yakity,

I'd love to follow the comp but we are not here most of May and bank holiday :(

But...if you can take any shots and fancy doing a write up, we'd definitely put it on the site? It something that is gaining interest and is different to the norm. So if you wanted to do that, then that would be great.

Also, send over any press releases and I'll put them on for you mate.

I'm really sorry about not been able to cover the comp, it would have been a great article to get, again sorry about that :(

Cheers

Mike Jr

P.S Ever done any salt water fly from the KayaK?

·
48 Posts
Hi Beefcake.

Im sure you are going to have major amounts of fun out there this year.
I hope you catch plenty of fish......show the old man how its done :D
We fish out of Exmouth in Devon,.....do you know it ??
The grounds we fish are close to shore, made up of rough broken grounds, we are very lucky to have some great spots, with easey launching.
I ride a Srambler XT, sit on top Kayak.
Hope you wear a personal floatation device out there.
Keep safe and have fun.

Yakity.

·
48 Posts
Hi Mike,

I understand, not a problem.
If I can work out how to post some pics, :D , Ill put some up for you all.
Will also let you all know how the Tournament went.

Re the sea fly, I have played on fresh water a little with a fly.
This year I am looking forward to trying it from the Kayak.
My casting abilities resemble Lester Picket coaxing the favourite over the finnishing post with his whip.
I know very little about it, so any tips from you guys would be very welcome.

Yakity.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
yak if u not no much about throwin a fly, and r a learner, u may mean u av difficulty controlin your arms so 2 speak. i used 2 tel people new 2 the fly fishing, 2 wear a long sleeve shirt, put the butt of the rod in2 the cuff of the shirt, and cast away, try it, u b surprised how much control that wil give u m8, and u r limited, so it stops u movin your arms 2 the side as much as a learner does, u got 2 try it 2 c wot i mean, good luk m8..

B

·
0 Posts
Please keep us posted Yakity.

We got a white water 4 rated inflatable (but strong) kayak from the states last year with my partner and started fishing around Portland with it this summer when we got hooked into angling.

Its absolute fun and we're modifying it this year for some longer trips and reinforcing the sides. We can either fish with person in back using the rod or just leave ourselves to light tides and cover an area.

Also a nice way to collect some bait and muscles on the right tide. Pls send more info on the tournament and if inflatables will also be allowed. I've seen several others around Kimmeridge doing the same but with "real" kayaks :) Best luck

Izzy

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Just found this thread.

In the winter of 1963 it was so cold that the seawater in the shallower parts of the Menai Straits froze on a few occasions. On one of these tides the 'ice-flos' floated off and into the main channel. I was trying for the mythical Wintercod when I looked up and there was this Kayak. The paddler was very brown and short but was very well wrapped up in some sort of furry floatation suit. He was fishing with a very short rod and using, as far as I could see, small white pirk-like lures.

I think he was english as he did not respond to my cheery welsh questions as I paddled up to him in my coracle. Perhaps he was just concentrating hard because the two husky-dogs that were towing him had to bark quite loudly before he looked up. His reponse was to wave a long barbed stick at me and bare his teeth (which were in excelent condition).

Eventually he gave up, blew out his beargrease headcandle, and clambered out of the skin boat and onto one of the ice-flos where he had a very white domed beach buddy. He did shout at me again. It sounded like, "Wrong bloody bait again", but he was speaking through those bared teeth as he attempted to brew up over a whale fat stove.

Eventually the tide turned and it seemed to get warmer. The last I saw of him was, having lashed his Buddy to the kayak, his 'camp' receding into the fog over Bangor, he mushed the dogs frantically as the flo got smaller. He left me to spin around uncontrollably for another few hours, as I usually do in the damn thing, before I luckily managed to run aground somewhere near Beaumaris. Oh, I blanked again by the way!

P.S. I have pictures of the ice flos and of me in my coracle near the Gorad, honest, if anybody is even mildly interested!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts