World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
i was out on the kayak today and cuaght p[lenty of macky so i tryed live baiting for bass.

i didnt have any joy, so was woundering whats the best way of rigging and presenting live macky???

Also when using the fish finder i can see plenty of fish on it, but still dont catch, is this simply because im using the wrong bait. Also most of the fish showed in the top layers of water within 8 feet pf surface(fishing in 30ish foot of water), whats the best way in targeting these fish.

Im using a eagle cuda 128, has anyone else got experience of this finder, and if so what are the best settings????

kelvin

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Mate, as far as I know the fish you are seeing on the finder may well not actually be fish. Chances are that they are pockets of air, debris even poly bags lol
I was told by a guy that used to run a charter boat, that most things that show up on the finder are'nt actually fish. From what I know fish finders are mainly used to determine the depth of the water and the bottom composition, not sure on their ability to actually find fish although they certainly can find fish holding areas. Although I could be totally wrong and I know that a lot of what you see on screen is determined by the sensitivity and settings aswell.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Hi there,

I agree with flattiefanatic that it's likely that what you're seeing on your finder are not fish, especially 8ft down in 30ft of water, let's face you could look over the side and see them!!!! Try turning off the fish ID function of your finder. This will remove those completely useless and stupid little fish symbols and instead show you the shape of the actual signal which has reflected from the target. Fish usually, but not always, show as a little arc with the apex of the arc upwards. Other rubbish in the water will not and will show as just a ragged, ill-defined blob.

By the way, I presume in 30ft of water you are quite close to the shore, and therefore, probably over rough ground. Be careful fishing mackerel bait on the bottom in that situation from a kayak. There are 20 to 30 lb conger in that sort of ground around here, (I get them in my lobster pots regularly in that sort of depth), and if one of those babies grabs your mackie strip, you'll be practising your roll procedure I should think !!!!

Cheers anyway, and good luck and tight lines..........

Peter B

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah thansk for that, and yes you are right it only about a mile from shore. the beach is a very flat beach. There are no rocks at told on the bottom on flat sand.

There are a couple of rolls on the bottom close in but other than nothing. Im just going to have to investigate the beach more with the fish finder the highlight the roughter parts of the beach.

thansk fo rtherepsonse boys most appreciated.
kelvin

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry des. not at all they are really stable and you can fish with your feet over the edge. As long as you have a ankor its good.

kelvin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts