World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering buying a Kayak or "Yak" as I am now informed is the name.

Anyone tried it, no launching fees, strap on the top of your car, cheap to run, fish out of the way places, peace and quiet, sounds ideal doesn't it? :)

Any one recommend it, or are there any yak critics out there?:g:

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I am considering buying a Kayak or "Yak" as I am now informed is the name.

Anyone tried it, no launching fees, strap on the top of your car, cheap to run, fish out of the way places, peace and quiet, sounds ideal doesn't it? :)

Any one recommend it, or are there any yak critics out there?:g:
Give lazy hooker a PM hes always out fishing on his yak. DEAN.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I've tried all fishing kayaks on the Birmingham show two weeks ago. The only kayak I was comfortable in was Hobie Mirage drive. They do not import them yet and on the stand the kayaks were presented by some clueless teenagers. This showed complete lack of interest in this company for the UK market.
This put me off buying one. All other kayaks felt quite uncomfortable mainly due to my fat rear end. I ended up buying an inflatable boat with 30hp engine instead of kayak. They cost about the same.
Try them all before you buy one!

T

·
0 Posts
Contact Spanner on the forum.

He is a dedicated Kayak fisherman and has landed monster ton up Skate from one.

I am hoping to get him out mid channel wrecking (with a safety boat!!!) this year and he has plans for sharking from it too.

·
Registered
824 Posts
you can get blow up roof bars for the car £40 they just strap thru the window /door and blow up sit 2 yaks (prowler 13) on the spot on just throw them in the car when you arrive
come with straps etc

·
Registered
143 Posts
you can get blow up roof bars for the car £40 they just strap thru the window /door and blow up sit 2 yaks (prowler 13) on the spot on just throw them in the car when you arrive
come with straps etc
Iv'e got those, brilliant kit.. I only put one yak on the roof, if we take two plus gear, I use my trailer.
It's called the 'Handi-rack', from the USA I think.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
I fancy one of these but also considering a say 10 to 12ft boat with a 4hp motor go on top of car can be lifted off easily and more space and comfort and you dont have to paddle unless motor breaks down.

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
I fancy one of these but also considering a say 10 to 12ft boat with a 4hp motor go on top of car can be lifted off easily and more space and comfort and you dont have to paddle unless motor breaks down.
The point surely is that the paddling under your own steam is all part of the experience, rather than continuing with the western obsession with the internal combustion engine :(

·
Registered
143 Posts
It would be difficult to paddle a 'boat', you could row it of course.
However, a kayak is designed to be propelled by a paddle, and is very efficient. I have paddled faster than a couple of guys in a small boat with a small outboard in quite choppy sea.
You would find it difficult to row a small boat any distance against tide and wind.
The kayak however will easily perform well with a fairly fit paddler.
I would feel much safer in my kayak. If I had to get in very quickly, if the weather looked dodgy, and I was about 500yds offshore, I could blast into the beach in a very short time. Rowing a small boat would take forever.

·
Registered
824 Posts
had a few waves brake over the yak it fills up but emptys as fast and even when all the plugs are in they stay upright and afloat
great fun
but as with every thing know you limits and be carefull

1 - 14 of 14 Posts