World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Decided to make the move from shore to kayak off Norfolk / Suffolk coast and am looking for kit advice as all my stuff is beach gear. I have most of my yak gear now (PFD, VHF, drysuit etc.) but a couple of things I could do with some help on;

Are tactics from kayaks in this area generally using lures rather than bait?

Rods and reels - I've always been a fixed spool angler from the shore but had used multipliers off boats on occasion. I'd be interested in anyone's advice or preference for kayak fishing in this area?

Also looking for a place with not too much current to launch myself into and practice getting back on after falling before I go out properly. I've done it on other SOTs before, but that was with shorts in a hotter climate so thought it best to get familiar when geared up - any recommendations for somewhere?

Cheers

Bob

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I'm not from your area, but use what ever reels you like as I use both, with rods don't go too short as you need to make sure you can bring a fish from one side to the other rounding the bows, I like something around 7'6 to 8' foot.
As for getting back in just try/practise on a very calm day in 4-5 foot of water so if you can't you can walk back to the shore.
Good luck

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks YD, that's just the kind of info I needed. There is so much conflicting stuff online I have been getting "choice stress".

·
Registered
90 Posts
I haved fish Suffolk a number of times from the kayak whilst on holiday. Use either fixed spool or multiplier reel but I find multi a better bet but f/s will be fine. I used both lures and bait depending whether I wanted to fish anchored up or drift with lures. Rovex Gold 7' boat rods are superb value for money and work well with baited rigs.

Get in touch with the kayak guy in Sea Angler Magazine whose name I cannot recall at the moment but nevertheless he lives in Norfolk and knows the area like the back of his has hand. His first name is Mark and believe me he is a very very experienced kayak angler and a really nice guy. There are so many areas on the Norfolk / Suffolk coastline so it won't be too hard to find fish.

You really need to refine the gear you take on board and ensure everything is lashed to the kayak because you WILL capsize at some point and lose ALL your gear if not lashed down. You need to learn how to self rescue before actually fishing and learn the correct technique for anchoring.

Phil

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HI Phil, Thanks for the advice, the rod seems a good starting point and your comment about the lashings spot on. Is Sea Angler Magazine still going? their website is all full of broken links and out of date..?

Cheers

Bob

·
Registered
90 Posts
HI Phil, Thanks for the advice, the rod seems a good starting point and your comment about the lashings spot on. Is Sea Angler Magazine still going? their website is all full of broken links and out of date..?

Cheers

Bob

Ah, in that case Bob perhaps due to covid19, the print works may not be running although I had a a guy came for a casting lesson after being given my number by SA so I assume the office is up and running. I think I have Marks mobile number somewhere but perhaps I should not give it out.

This is Mark

Not sure if this forum is still active but right on your doorstep so worth looking into
https://angliankayakangling.proboards.com/

Sea Palling is a good place to fish from the kayak but before you do that...........................do this :-

Pity you are a distance away otherwise I could have helped you set up the kayak.

Phil

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Phil. Great videos. I have just had a minor knee op so spending the next 2-3 weeks getting everything set up before finding somewhere safe to venture out and practice self rescue. Looking forward to getting out fishing but want to be sure that when I do, I know I am confident and safe. Nearer the time I'll try to touch base with some folks in the area and pick their brains a little.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts