World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We always look forward to our next adventure , we check the weather and always try to enjoy the best Scotland has to offer . Ardrossan is good paddling wise , the sea wall offer some shelter and there is always the possibility to visit the island .
I retraced our trip using google maps , keeping those memories alive .
ARD map.jpg
Enjoy the ride , it's fresh !
ARD 1.jpg

We started at low tide , a very long walk on the sandy beach .
Then paddled on , flat sea and some lovely scenery .
ARD 7.jpg

Fishing is improving slowly . Great fun on light tackle .
ARD 8.jpg

Stopping at the island .
ARD 9.jpg

More light fishing .
ARD 6.jpg
ARD 11.jpg
The wind increased , temperatures dropped it was time to head home .
ARD 12.jpg

Great paddle , cool company , 5 small pollock and one small sea scorpion . Can't be bad in February . Tight line all , thanks for watching .

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Do you use fish finders when you're out or just give it a bash? I've seen a few vids on youtube where the guys all have fish finders and wondered if it really makes a difference.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you use fish finders when you're out or just give it a bash? I've seen a few vids on youtube where the guys all have fish finders and wondered if it really makes a difference.
I don't have a fishfinder xflyman . Most of the fish I chase live close to the bottom of the sea in the kelp forest . I use different weighted soft lures , usually 5 to 10 gr . I fish different depth and from time to time I drop the lure down to the bottom and do a countdown . If the lure takes 20 second to hit the bottom , then the next cast will be between 18 to 20 second . Most lures have jigheads and don't get snagged . It's all about fishing the zone . If you get a nice slow drift you can fish the lure closer to the bottom , pollock usually follow the lure for a while before nailing it . I don't think i will ever get a fishfinder . I always use the drogue though !

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
That’s ok not having a fishfinder when your fishing a mark that is so obvious out in the sea as horse island.
But even at that mark there are certain areas that hold a better stamp of fish to others.
The fishfinder is all about the change in depths and the ground your fishing over. Whether it be a reef, gulley, drop off, sandbar etc.
Going over ground slowly with your fishfinder on will give you a good idea where to try and drift.

Try finding a mark in the middle of the sea if you don’t know the ground or the depth changes it’s in.
Best to have a chart plotter to mark the area or try to look for 3 different points on land that you can cross reference to get near the mark. The fishfinder will be back up to reassuring yourself that your on it.
It could be a reef, big gulley or even just a change in ground ie, sand to rock and kelp.

It’s very hard to find these areas without the help of a fishfinder in the open sea.
Think if you where to try a new area, the ground your fishing over along with the tide run are the most important things.
With a fishfinder I could drift the same area with confidence and have a good idea when I’m getting near a hotspot or anchor.

I’m only looking at the ground and change of depths on a fishfinder. I don’t pay attention to the fish symbols if they are showing or not. The ground is the most important.

It’s a bit like knowing there’s a big gulley that holds fish 50 yards from the shore. You only see it on big spring tides when your on the shore.
So casting to as the tide floods or ebbs would be the place to cast. With a fishfinder I’d find it straight away if I was passing on a kayak or a boat.

Cheers willie

I don't have a fishfinder xflyman . Most of the fish I chase live close to the bottom of the sea in the kelp forest . I use different weighted soft lures , usually 5 to 10 gr . I fish different depth and from time to time I drop the lure down to the bottom and do a countdown . If the lure takes 20 second to hit the bottom , then the next cast will be between 18 to 20 second . Most lures have jigheads and don't get snagged . It's all about fishing the zone . If you get a nice slow drift you can fish the lure closer to the bottom , pollock usually follow the lure for a while before nailing it . I don't think i will ever get a fishfinder . I always use the drogue though !

·
Registered
71 Posts
Even without a fishfinder you can always go on the navionics website before a trip to get an idea of the area you're fishing and find some new spots.

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
I can see how handy navionics is from the shore as I’ve used it on a good few occasions.
It comes with a scale so you can work out roughly what distance is required with a cast to find your depth or drop off.
In the open sea, it’s a totally different story.
The fishfinder comes into its own, in that respect.

Cheers willie

Even without a fishfinder you can always go on the navionics website before a trip to get an idea of the area you're fishing and find some new spots.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Navionics is good G.Shaw . It's great for narrowing down everything . And head to the best spot .
navionics_.jpg

·
Registered
883 Posts
Nic, I've no wish to knock a fellow yak angler or anyone else for that matter. But there are numerous spots with contours like that, some hold fish, some don't. It's not as if you looked at a chart and discovered Horse Island is it? I wouldn't fish without a fishfinder but I don't always have it switched on.

I tried one area with great contours, in the Clyde back in November , had two huge pollack. That spot will remain a mystery to most. The next time in December it was small fish. The last thing that spot needs is drones, and google images over layed on it. For someone who bangs on about the Clyde is this, that and the next thing you certainly know how to heap fishing pressure on a decent marks for a few YouTube hits. And I'm not talking about your crew. Anyone with a kayak, RIB or a boat will have a bit of that and put 20 pound of Pollack fillets in the freezer based on what you;re uploading.

In many ways Horse Island is an ideal venue for kayaks, I fish there myself occasionally. A bit like the other spot you fish up the Clyde, the bigger fish will dwindle, then the numbers. You can see it happening already. I'm surprised nobody has called you on it, maybe they have... You seem like a decent guy, super keen but if I were in the shop I wouldn't now tell you where a phone box was:)

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nic, I've no wish to knock a fellow yak angler or anyone else for that matter. But there are numerous spots with contours like that, some hold fish, some don't. It's not as if you looked at a chart and discovered Horse Island is it? I wouldn't fish without a fishfinder but I don't always have it switched on.

I tried one area with great contours, in the Clyde back in November , had two huge pollack. That spot will remain a mystery to most. The next time in December it was small fish. The last thing that spot needs is drones, and google images over layed on it. For someone who bangs on about the Clyde is this, that and the next thing you certainly know how to heap fishing pressure on a decent marks for a few YouTube hits. And I'm not talking about your crew. Anyone with a kayak, RIB or a boat will have a bit of that and put 20 pound of Pollack fillets in the freezer based on what you;re uploading.

In many ways Horse Island is an ideal venue for kayaks, I fish there myself occasionally. A bit like the other spot you fish up the Clyde, the bigger fish will dwindle, then the numbers. You can see it happening already. I'm surprised nobody has called you on it, maybe they have... You seem like a decent guy, super keen but if I were in the shop I wouldn't now tell you where a phone box was:)
I agree but there is 100 trawlers in the Clyde and next week I'll be fishing for roach . I certainly cannot stop people putting fish in the freezer , I certainly do not myself and my friends , I like the adventure , trusted friends and the great outdoor Scotland can provide . I might head to the east coast next month catching cod to be told by a local don't do that . Well , life's too short . And the kayak , exercises and wellbeing goes first . if you go out , share your adventures Martin . that is what the forums are all about . tight line . With hundreds of miles of coast line ride on , we are on an island , remember .

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Thanks for the info as I wasn't sure as to what it was exactly that people were looking for being a shore angler. I would doubt very much if a guy in a kayak could do any real harm in the Clyde which is Europe's most heavily trawled stretch of water, and the Forth's not far behind. Keep up the good work, it's good to see someone out enjoying themselves.

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
I always enjoy Nicolas’s kayak reports and his updates on the state of the Clyde in particular. I can understand Martin’s concern about highlighting the potential of the area but I console myself with the fact that it isn’t accessible to those who would probably do the most damage. I have had my share of great sport on light tackle from my boat around Ardrossan with pollack into double figures and decent wrasse, and I always thought that it would make a great area for the guys on kayaks. My boat hasn’t gone into the marina for over two years because it all became a bit predictable and repetitive hammering the same species (and maybe even the same fish:() every time I managed to get out. The seal population on the island will probably remove more than the anglers that are afloat and yet there always seems to be plenty fish to go round. It verges on criminality what the Scottish government has allowed to happen to the Clyde and I certainly wouldn’t begrudge anyone their share of the sport wherever they can find it, as long as they’re not on a charter boat..:eek:

·
Registered
883 Posts
I agree but there is 100 trawlers in the Clyde and next week I'll be fishing for roach . I certainly cannot stop people putting fish in the freezer , I certainly do not myself and my friends , I like the adventure , trusted friends and the great outdoor Scotland can provide . I might head to the east coast next month catching cod to be told by a local don't do that . Well , life's too short . And the kayak , exercises and wellbeing goes first . if you go out , share your adventures Martin . that is what the forums are all about . tight line . With hundreds of miles of coast line ride on , we are on an island , remember .
The old trawler line getting trotted out as it suits the narrative. I'm not buying what you're selling Nic. I'm talking about an island/reef that's 500 yards long. It's got hee haw to do with trawling or what we had or did not have 40 years ago,my post is about what's here today. A decent couple of anglers with a mind to could take that reef apart in a week or less, fact.

I've made the odd mistake myself in my limited use of social media. I've learned. I don't have a commercial YouTube channel. The amount of fishing done that rarely gets reported on here is immense, because of things like this,.Plenty of people sharing information, me included. I was in a position to help three guys with their bass fishing last year, 2 caught for the first time and went on to do really well.
As it happens I'm not exactly a local but I'm near enough to see your point but where do I say don't fish it? It was there before I was born and enjoyed by lots of anglers before I picked up a rod, lets be crystal on that...

Valid points about exercise and spending time with your mates, totally agree. If you cannot see the point made in my original post I'm probably wasting my time.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Thanks for the info as I wasn't sure as to what it was exactly that people were looking for being a shore angler. I would doubt very much if a guy in a kayak could do any real harm in the Clyde which is Europe's most heavily trawled stretch of water, and the Forth's not far behind. Keep up the good work, it's good to see someone out enjoying themselves.
Try reading what I wrote that sometimes helps.

·
Registered
10,368 Posts
I always enjoy Nicolas’s kayak reports and his updates on the state of the Clyde in particular. I can understand Martin’s concern about highlighting the potential of the area but I console myself with the fact that it isn’t accessible to those who would probably do the most damage. I have had my share of great sport on light tackle from my boat around Ardrossan with pollack into double figures and decent wrasse, and I always thought that it would make a great area for the guys on kayaks. My boat hasn’t gone into the marina for over two years because it all became a bit predictable and repetitive hammering the same species (and maybe even the same fish:() every time I managed to get out. The seal population on the island will probably remove more than the anglers that are afloat and yet there always seems to be plenty fish to go round. It verges on criminality what the Scottish government has allowed to happen to the Clyde and I certainly wouldn’t begrudge anyone their share of the sport wherever they can find it, as long as they’re not on a charter boat..:eek:
I agree with 99% of what you're saying however putting the blame on the Scottish government is pushing it mate.! It was actually the "Thatcher" government that removed the inshore no trawling zones.
Back onto the thread though, personally I really like and look forward to Nicolas's film reports.!

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
I agree with 99% of what you're saying however putting the blame on the Scottish government is pushing it mate.! It was actually the "Thatcher" government that removed the inshore no trawling zones.
Back onto the thread though, personally I really like and look forward to Nicolas's film reports.!
The Scottish government recently legalised electrofishing for razors after admitting that they couldn't police the ban on it. Their beloved EU condoned electric pulse fishing by Dutch commercials and now they are talking about banning it thank goodness (the voting takes place today). I hope that if the EU legislate to ban electrofishing that the SNP follow suit, although the commercial lobby is one of the strongest in all parliaments. Many people including myself reported illegal electrofishing to Marine Scotland and nothing was ever done about it. The Clyde is run as a prawn and razor farm by the commercials with Scottish government complicity.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Not going to wade into the punch up.

Fishfinders are excellent if you know how to use one and I don`t use it to spot fish. I fish one mark and the majority of fish are concentrated on rough reefs as inbetween them it is mud/sand and few fish. Another mark is slightly different and the fish hug the coast close to a small outcrop, and yet another is different again as the bottom is featureless but the creel boys know where the crabs etc are so it is best to fish close to them as the food is there and the pots also attract fish due to the smell of the bait and here a FF is absolutely neccessary as you will lose tackle hand over fist if you can`t spot the barnicle encrusted line below you. With a good card, you can sit yourself back on the mark the next time out or use a waterwolf to see exactly what is down there when the seabed rises up 8 feet and back down in a matter of a few yards ;)

Tight lines

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Try reading what I wrote that sometimes helps.
You said: For someone who bangs on about the Clyde is this, that and the next thing you certainly know how to heap fishing pressure on a decent marks for a few YouTube hits.

I would read this as one person can have a big effect on a particular mark. We may differ on opinions but try cutting out the patronising remarks and I'm sure more constructive discussions can follow.

·
Registered
883 Posts

You said: For someone who bangs on about the Clyde is this, that and the next thing you certainly know how to heap fishing pressure on a decent marks for a few YouTube hits.

I would read this as one person can have a big effect on a particular mark. We may differ on opinions but try cutting out the patronising remarks and I'm sure more constructive discussions can follow.
You're right about the patronising part, I take that back. I've also changed my laugh imoji to agree.

That's the last walking backwards I'll be doing. And no, you didn't read it correctly and did not quote what I said fully.

Just to be clear. If you think increasing angling pressure, from a variety of sources, massive amounts of social media on what is a small area, close to shore, for edible whitefish, in a system with proven lack of edible whitefish is a great idea, that's fine. I don't.

The irony of the above and the OP's previous comments about the Clyde don't stack up. I've called it as I see it. If you or anyone else thinks I'm wrong I'm totally fine with that. As Nic says life is too short, sometimes you need a bit of balance to the comments, here and on YouTube, otherwise it all gets a bit sycophantic.

As for the PM and the two text messages I received, I'm nobody's mouth piece and have zero interest in flaming a thread. Anybody who knows me will know that.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts