World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a very enjoyable day in the kayak off Walney on Saturday (Earnsea down to the coastguard tower approx 1-2 miles out), approx 10-6 pm. Sea was a bit choppy to start with, but as per recent sessions, as the day wore on the wind died down so that by dusk it was the proverbial mirror and it was a pleasure being out.

Started off drifting with cod feathers baited with lug, using the ebb to push me out and down the island. First drop a nice whiting, next drop a good cod about 3 lbs, then things died for the next hour. Anchoring up fishing black and sand lug tipped with squid immediately found my nemesis......the doggie! After landing about fifteen in twenty casts, and being joined by Captain Whiting and Sam (no nickname as yet) drifted about 200 yards dragging the anchor until it snagged. First cast another nice cod about 2.5-3 lbs, then the doggies came thick and fast, sometimes two rods bouncing at the same time. Fished for about two hours landing 20+ doggies.

Had a paddle close in off the slipway at Earnsea about 200 yards out, trying for a late bass. First cast, instant bite, another doggie!! How many are there off Walney at the mo? Next cast a beautiful condition plaice about 1.5 lbs, next cast a dab, then the whiting hit. Bite every cast, landed maybe 15 plus a few more doggies. Interestingly, fished black only on one rod as a trial, instant bite, landed a whiting with a mouth full of squid. Think he'd been on my other bait as well!

Well over 100 doggies on my last three kayak trips; anybody any hot tips how to avoid them? Just bought a new waterproof camera, so hopefully have some good photos on future reports. Tight lines all :boat:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Nice to see some other kayaks in the area give me a shout your next outing. I would like a sesh off the front for the cod. Had some good days on the plaice off Ernsey bay on my kayak

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Nawks, thanks for the advice, out again next weekend (weather permitting!) so will let you know how I get on. Cheers Pete

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well done on your catch,the doggies seem to be about in abundance at the moment,I was out on a friends boat around Rossall on Tuesday and we had well over 130 between us.They should start to thin out a bit over the next couple of weeks and maybe give the other fish a chance of seeing our bait

1 - 9 of 9 Posts