World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just about to venture into the world of saltwater kayak fishing. Can any of you good people recommend some underwear tackle storage. I see some amazing stuff on videos from the states - but the only problem is …. It’s in the states not UK! - looking for something with a couple of locking drawers that can go under the seat. Thanks in advance.

Paul.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You need to sit as low as possible in the kayak for stability. I would think about an alternative approach.
The kayak I am buying has a raised seat rather than one that is just a scrap of padded material on the floor. It has about 100mm clearance under front and 75mm clearance under rear of the seat - so putting something underneath to hold a few items is not going to compromise the stability or safety of the kayak. In fact under seat storage will effectively lower the centre of gravity - slightly improving stability. So ….. yeah - still looking for any good ideas for under seat storage if anyone has any. [Thanks]

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
The kayak I am buying has a raised seat rather than one that is just a scrap of padded material on the floor. It has about 100mm clearance under front and 75mm clearance under rear of the seat - so putting something underneath to hold a few items is not going to compromise the stability or safety of the kayak. In fact under seat storage will effectively lower the centre of gravity - slightly improving stability. So ….. yeah - still looking for any good ideas for under seat storage if anyone has any. [Thanks]
You need to sit as low as possible in the kayak for stability
What he said ^^^ sorry have a re-think on kayak

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
A lot of those high seaters are designed for the American market. I would consider sitting as low as possible.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wow! - I appreciate everyone’s concern, but you’d be forgiven for thinking I’d asked everyone ‘what height seat should I get for my kayak’. I’m comfortable with my choice of kayak, I think HobieCat are quite an established brand. What I actually asked was any ideas for under seat storage - so, does anyone actually have any ideas? or do you just want to tell me to consider another boat for a third or fourth time? - sorry if I sound exasperated, but I did ask a simple question in a polite manner.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
wow! - I appreciate everyone’s concern, but you’d be forgiven for thinking I’d asked everyone ‘what height seat should I get for my kayak’. I’m comfortable with my choice of kayak, I think HobieCat are quite an established brand. What I actually asked was any ideas for under seat storage - so, does anyone actually have any ideas? or do you just want to tell me to consider another boat for a third or fourth time? - sorry if I sound exasperated, but I did ask a simple question in a polite manner.
Having been kayaking for over 20 years I gave you my advice, if you don't like it that's fine by me, but there are some kayaks on the market that are not suitable for the purpose they are made for and that's a fact.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am in the same school of thought as the others HOWEVER having had several Jackson Kayaks from the US incorporating the adjustable height chairs. It is very true that the US kayaks are generally for a different type of fishing but it is also fair to say that these kayaks are generally wider and I found them to be heavy but very stable. Just as a suggestion, if you are new to kayak fishing and/or the kayak itself, try some sessions on the water with the seat a different heights to see what suits you and if the sea turns rough while you are out, you will need to be able to drop the seat to the lowest setting so another little technique worth getting to know and become fully able to do when conditiond dictate.
Jackson Kayaks supply tackle boxes to fit both under the seat and either side so very much to hand although I was not a big lover of under seat boxes. These under seat boxes are basically carp tackle boxes you can buy from any tackle shop or on ebay, Plano are used in the states by many manufacturers and available on ebay. If you are getting a Hobie or already own one, speak to the Hobie centre as they sell the US made boxes which will of course fit the recesses in your kayak.
Try to be a bit creative in your tackle boxes as to how well they will fit in with what you want to do and remember they need to be waterproof and fitted with a lanyard so you don't lose them overboard. There some superb waterproof boxes that you can use putting smaller none waterproof boxes inside.
Hope that helps
Phil

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited by Moderator)
Having been kayaking for over 20 years I gave you my advice, if you don't like it that's fine by me, but there are some kayaks on the market that are not suitable for the purpose they are made for and that's a fact.
Jesus, what a pompous answer. What makes you think I’ve never kayaked before? I have too been using kayaks for many, many years - just not for fishing. Secondly, you sniffy old windbag, I asked for advice on UNDER SEAT STORAGE not on anything else so no, I never asked for your patronising advice on seat height or stability - I asked at least 3 times for advice about something completely unconnected to that yet your sense of self importance compelled you to keep telling me stuff I’d already told you twice I didn’t need advice about. I’m away now - this part of the forums is not what I’d hoped it would be.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am in the same school of thought as the others HOWEVER having had several Jackson Kayaks from the US incorporating the adjustable height chairs. It is very true that the US kayaks are generally for a different type of fishing but it is also fair to say that these kayaks are generally wider and I found them to be heavy but very stable. Just as a suggestion, if you are new to kayak fishing and/or the kayak itself, try some sessions on the water with the seat a different heights to see what suits you and if the sea turns rough while you are out, you will need to be able to drop the seat to the lowest setting so another little technique worth getting to know and become fully able to do when conditiond dictate.
Jackson Kayaks supply tackle boxes to fit both under the seat and either side so very much to hand although I was not a big lover of under seat boxes. These under seat boxes are basically carp tackle boxes you can buy from any tackle shop or on ebay, Plano are used in the states by many manufacturers and available on ebay. If you are getting a Hobie or already own one, speak to the Hobie centre as they sell the US made boxes which will of course fit the recesses in your kayak.
Try to be a bit creative in your tackle boxes as to how well they will fit in with what you want to do and remember they need to be waterproof and fitted with a lanyard so you don't lose them overboard. There some superb waterproof boxes that you can use putting smaller none waterproof boxes inside.
Hope that helps
Phil
Great answer Phil - thank you so much, you’ve given me lots to think about. I’m going to have several sessions without any fishing gear so I can get used to a new type of kayak for me before I venture out in search of fish. I’m grateful for you taking the time to help me out. If I can ever reciprocate in any way I will be glad to help out. : )

·
Registered
170 Posts
Jesus, what a pompous answer. What makes you think I’ve never kayaked before? I have too been using kayaks for many, many years - just not for fishing. Secondly, you sniffy old windbag, I asked for advice on UNDER SEAT STORAGE not on anything else so no, I never asked for your patronising advice on seat height or stability - I asked at least 3 times for advice about something completely unconnected to that yet your sense of self importance compelled you to keep telling me stuff I’d already told you twice I didn’t need advice about. I’m away now - this part of the forums is not what I’d hoped it would be.
BIT OTT,THAT REPLY MIND.
JMO,MIND.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
"but I did ask a simple question in a polite manner." you gave up on that approach then?:giggle::giggle::D:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just an extra point I forgot to mention, because I am an overweight ole tart, I found it tricky to easily reach under the seat for the tackle box so I fitted the lanyard from the tackle box to the very front on the seat so it was much easier to pull the box out and easier to chuck it back under the seat. A small point but keep fiddling around until it works for you.

Phil

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
"but I did ask a simple question in a polite manner." you gave up on that approach then?:giggle::giggle::D:)
I did and it was. As you are so keen on advice, I would offer you some in return: It would be far better for you to just let people think you’re a fool than to open your pie-hole and remove any last shred of lingering doubt.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just an extra point I forgot to mention, because I am an overweight ole tart, I found it tricky to easily reach under the seat for the tackle box so I fitted the lanyard from the tackle box to the very front on the seat so it was much easier to pull the box out and easier to chuck it back under the seat. A small point but keep fiddling around until it works for you.

Phil
Again - thanks Phil, you’re a star. I’m away from this forum now before that rude buffoon starts up again. Stay safe.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I did and it was. As you are so keen on advice, I would offer you some in return: It would be far better for you to just let people think you’re a fool than to open your pie-hole and remove any last shred of lingering doubt.
Hey you edited, at first this was an apology. Which version is the real you?

I have literately sat here and laughed, you're a funny bloke. I mean you have actually called other people "rude". :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts