World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

We love kayak fishing . Our latest trip took us up to the highland of Scotland , and our plan was to fish throughout the night . At arrival the weather condition was not perfect it was getting dark , the rain was persistent and the strong wind was cutting across .
The essential requirement for this trip was a head torch and years of paddling . While Glen and Toj where still preparing for the big adventure I paddle into the fading light , testing the water and condition .
The strong wind was cutting across the deep sea loch and eventually , like wet troopers we charged on and faded into the wilderness .
A short paddle later into a wild sea we eventually found shelter and tied on . Fishing then started .
My set up was clear and straight , 20lb class boat rod , 8/0 massive hook and 150 lb nylon trace .
Fresh mackerel for bait our rods soon started to bounce . Some nice thornback rays and big dogfish we kept busy through the dark wet night catching and releasing .
And then something extraordinary happened . Slight bite to start , I gently stroke into the fish and my rod bent double . I kept reeling hard for a few minutes and bubbles of air came to the surface , my jaw dropped then , check the size of that eel . The fish decided then to dive down . Another battle testing all my tackle and stability on the kayak . I eventually manage to grab my leader ( 150 lb mono ) The next step was to pull the 5 foot long heavy fighting eel onto the kayak . At that time the fish went into a fighting mode and started to spin , and spin and spin . I have never experience anything like that in my life , fighting a massive conger . I eventually managed to lift the monster and sit it onto my lap . The hook removal at that point was impossible , I had to cut the line . The fish was fine though and I released it back to the wild .
15 minutes later Toj hooked into another monster , not quiet big as mine but still a monster and the fight went on , and the laugh and excitement .
The morning light started to break , soaked and cold to the bones we paddle back . The mission was accomplished and we survived yet another extreme episode .
We slept for a few hours and then shore fish light tackle for some incredible looking colourful wrasse . Enjoy the video , I know it's pretty dark out there . Nicolas
CONGER 1 (1 of 1).jpg
CONGER 7 (1 of 1).jpg
CONGER 5 (1 of 1).jpg
CONGER 4 (1 of 1).jpg
CONGER 6 (1 of 1).jpg

CONGER 14 (1 of 1).jpg
CONGER 12 (1 of 1).jpg

·
Registered
7,132 Posts
great report nicolas ! cracking fish ... i wonder if you could get some kind of clip on table at the side to act like a small platform or landing bay to make it easyer to unhook the conger and rays on ?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
great report nicolas ! cracking fish ... i wonder if you could get some kind of clip on table at the side to act like a small platform or landing bay to make it easyer to unhook the conger and rays on ?
It's easy to unhook any fish from the kayak but conger . Slippery hyper strong creature . The best would be using barbless hook , however landing a big conger on a kayak at night is near impossible . That fish went back straight to the depths and eventually the hook will rust away . The power of a conger is unbelievable .

·
Registered
5,162 Posts
You guys are keen as mustard!
The congers are great sport but you're going to be busy cleaning up the slime for a wee while:eeks:.
Great report as usual and well deserved success.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Good report and pics as usual Nic..well done on landing the Conger....certainly not for the faint hearted, you are a braver man than me. Tight lines! Gary

·
Registered
231 Posts
Well done mate that's a beast of an eel.dont think I would have fancied pulling that into a kayak at night. Feck that lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts