World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A mate of mine is going to replace the rubber keel rollers on his trailer as they're pretty flat.

I think it was ChrisP who mentioned rubber keel rollers with nylon inserts on here, I've searched the web in vain for them.

If it was you Chris could you please post a link, thanks

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
It was me, I got some from a local shop about 8 years ago. Not seen them in the shop since though. Sorry I have no idea who made them and I have just checked and there is nothing on the rollers.

·
Registered
216 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the response men, those american ones could do the job. Only a couple of quid dearer than thr Crayside ones

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Brenderup trailers have some extremely tough rollers.
Might be available separately but probably not cheap.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Does your mate have a metal keelstrip? Then he could use Polyurethaan rollers, there special made for metal boats or boats with keelstrips, they center your boat better and wear less.

·
Registered
842 Posts
AF

Reason was posted on earlier post

be carefull with nylon as it is harder than the gelcoat and can damage it. there fine if you have a keel band.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Out of intrest why is that?

Afishionado
Because nylon doesnt compress like rubber, the weight of the boat falls on only a few tiny areas of the gellcoat causing it to crush and flake off. It will certainly find any voids behind the gellcoat. The metal keelband will spread the load.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Does your mate have a metal keelstrip? Then he could use Polyurethaan rollers, there special made for metal boats or boats with keelstrips, they center your boat better and wear less.
I replaced the rubber rollers for nylon from Crayside last year and they absolutely transformed the launch and retrieve. So much easier with nylon. My boat does have a metal keel band.

The only problem with the nylon rollers is they do not have much of a taper so centering the boat can be tricky. Might the Polyurethain ones cure this problem?
Does anyone know who sells them?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Crayside can turn them out to you own spec, I have just been in touch with them and all you need to do is send them a diagram of what you want.
Rgds TB

1 - 14 of 14 Posts