World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After moving from Cornwall to Devon last year I thought it was time to revisit Tintagel for a spot of fishing.

Setup at 7pm fished until 4 am. Great nights fishing tons of Mackerel, Pollack doggies Gurnard. All was well until I went to leave.

I was parked at the top of the cliff in my Nissan 4x4 and there was thick fog. I know the road quite well, so I packed up and headed into the night. Next thing massive Bang and I am halfway over a cliff ledge!! The road was a slate like track that had changed somewhat over the last year or 2 since my last visit and had fallen away! The drop beneath me was 2 rolls away from a 100ft free fall into the sea.

I finally got help from a tow company who couldn't get down either, we had to dig the slate and crap away from each wheel whilst jacking each wheel up adding wood etc etc.

I am shaken but alive!!! Be careful out there this was a real reality check for me!

Pete

·
Cliff Dangler
2,576 Posts
After moving from Cornwall to Devon last year I thought it was time to revisit Tintagel for a spot of fishing.

Setup at 7pm fished until 4 am. Great nights fishing tons of Mackerel, Pollack doggies Gurnard. All was well until I went to leave.

I was parked at the top of the cliff in my Nissan 4x4 and there was thick fog. I know the road quite well, so I packed up and headed into the night. Next thing massive Bang and I am halfway over a cliff ledge!! The road was a slate like track that had changed somewhat over the last year or 2 since my last visit and had fallen away! The drop beneath me was 2 rolls away from a 100ft free fall into the sea.

I finally got help from a tow company who couldn't get down either, we had to dig the slate and crap away from each wheel whilst jacking each wheel up adding wood etc etc.

I am shaken but alive!!! Be careful out there this was a real reality check for me!

Pete
So glad to hear you're ok mate!!!! REALLY!!!

I must admit I hate it when getting called out to an angler... especially the rougher jobs. Even if you don't know them personally it sort of feels like your own you know. A lot of the places and situations we as anglers find ourselves are a lot more risky then for most people and at strange times of day and night. I should know having been scraped off the bottom of a cliff by Offy!!! Doh!!!

It's as well to check mobile phone reception at a venue.

Let people know where you are and what time you hope to return... and if you don't then tell them to ring 999.

We'd rather get called out for a false alarm then get somewhere too late.

Phone if in doubt yourselves as there are services only too glad to come to your aid. The amount of times people have tried to get themselves out of the s**t and ended up in more of it.....

I know in your case mate it could have been a freak accident by the sound of things and thank God you're safe and well and ok to catch fish another day.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So glad to hear you're ok mate!!!! REALLY!!!

I must admit I hate it when getting called out to an angler... especially the rougher jobs. Even if you don't know them personally it sort of feels like your own you know. A lot of the places and situations we as anglers find ourselves are a lot more risky then for most people and at strange times of day and night. I should know having been scraped off the bottom of a cliff by Offy!!! Doh!!!

It's as well to check mobile phone reception at a venue.

Let people know where you are and what time you hope to return...

We'd rather get called out for a false alarm then get somewhere too late.

Phone if in doubt as there are services only too glad to come to your aid.

Tell your loved ones, family, friends, someone etc... to do the same if you don't check in because there are people only to willing to come out.

I know in your case mate it could have been a freak accident by the sound of things and thank God you're safe and well and ok to catch fish another day.
Cheers mate, I am still in shock, I have been on that road so many times before but with the thick fog and recently crumbled road I had no chance. All I can say about the actual location is I will PM you.

Hope you are ok after your slip sliding away on the kelp earlier!!
So the Bass are out are they.....mmmm just need to find somewhere with no cliff!!!

Cheers mate,

Pete

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm cool mate more of a Pride thing and a Praise the fishing Gods for saving me! At least I would have died happy with fish in the back of the truck :cool:

Hook up soon mate,

Pete

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Good to hear you are o.k mate, sounds like a situation that could easily been a sad ending !!, thankfully not....
Like others said, fisherman often take risks that others dont, in search of that extra chance of landing a PB...which isnt a bad thing, just need to weigh up the odds every time..... glad its all good...Pix.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ye it's all worth it really.

We are cutting-edge moving under the cover of darkness whilst others sleep we search and hunt our prey! We also balls our friggin motors up and risk death when sometimes it may be better to be in bed!

Cheers Mr Pix

1 - 14 of 14 Posts