World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scirroco has put us onto a fascinating link regarding fish attraction and the opposite (See his posting in 'Spider Crabs')

Whilst reading the article got via the link the following, concerning the Cod Family, caught my eye:

"This family is also notable for the fact that some species communicate vocally by means of grunts. Species that are not known to make sounds are whiting, coalfish, poor cod and three- and five-bearded rocklings. Vocal species include, apart from the cod itself, haddock, pollack and tadpole fish. The sounds are of low frequency and the rates of the sound pulses and their grouping differ from species to species. It would seem possible to devise audible means of attracting fish to the fishing area but the complexity of the subject suggests that it is probably not worthwhile."

So ... you must remain quiet so that you can hear what they're saying!1 Must admit that all is usually silent when Whiting are about, they just appear and then leave without warning. However I must also admit that it's usually the same with the Cod, except for one occasion when fishing the North beach in Lowestoft one quiet, freezing night last Autumn. This was when I heard a curious conversation. Perhaps I should mention that I have experimented with sound myself using Braid drawn tight to a well anchored grip lead and the loudspeaker of a small Walkman pressed against the line. (This was posted, alongwith similar occurences by other posters some time ago)

Bach to conversation. I happened to be playing witha recordable cassette player and only picked up the words and music when playing back the tape under high amplification and modulation (My son is a musician and has a Masters in Electronic Sound Manipulation) Anyway the words were just audible and way down the frequency scale - a grunting sort of staccato sound. What I heard was:

"Is this the way to Amarillo -- " honest!

What do you think the Cod would be saying/singing?
(The quote above is genuine, honest!)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Small article on Grunts...

http://www.havbruk.no/fishlist/fishtalk.html

and

"Huge numbers of grunting cod have been blamed by Norwegian scientists for posing a risk to the country's military security. According to a recent analysis, millions of tiny grunting sounds emitted by the cod during the mating season can create background noise loud enough to blot out sounds of suspicious maritime activity. The fish are overriding sonar systems, making it almost impossible to navigate safely under the waters of the Norwegian Sea." - Bizarre magazine, No.18, March 1999.

·
Master Blanker
3,582 Posts
if the first cod i catch???????? come in blurtin out velvet revolver, i will be well impressed...........otherwise, im not quite convinced :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts