Votes: 7 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 7 50.0%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the years I have kept a diary of my fishing activities and have found it to be invaluable when choosing what species to target and where to go to get them, and the best bait to use. It has also given me an insight into the changing migration patterns of the local fish populations, some now stay longer than 5 years ago, some now come earlier and some have almost disapeared but are plentiful elsewhere. I.m sure that this is not a waste of time and many anglers would have less wasted trips if they did the same and did not rely on memory. It only takes a few minutes after each trip and after a couple of years a clear picture begins to evolve and after a longer period more information comes to light. so Its an exercise I would reccomend for all anglers shore or boat to carry out especially if your just starting angling

·
Registered
568 Posts
Yep, I couldn't agree more.

Not only does it help make you a better angler, but it also makes good reading on dull winter evenings when you can look back to the halcion days of summer. I was looking back through my log recently and the memories of each trip were surprisingly vivid, even for trips 3 or 4 years ago. It was just like being back out fishing again.

I still find it hard to fill in my log when I have a bad trip but in time these bad trips are as informative as any other - you can stop yourself from making the same mistake twice.

I seem to recall someone coming online a while back asking us all what info we kept (Clive I think his name was?). Wasn't he looking at producing a software package specifically for sea anglers to keep a fishing log with. Wonder how he got on? he did mention 'free copies' to those of us that helped him.

Perhaps it would be interesting to add a poll to the thread Gus? 'Do you keep a fishing diary'

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi beefcake,, our crew figures (7 fishing) for last year were 2106 fish caught (most returned) in 17 trips:- average 123.88 per trip my figures were 421 fish caught:- average 24 per trip.

·
Registered
41 Posts
ive just recently started to keep a diary, but i also use it to jot down ways i can improve my rigs, and the things i learnt from that session or match, and although it is not much help now, with only 6-7 sessions in it i am sure it wil be of help in the futre when specific knowledge of a venue is required, which could give you the edge in a important match.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Yes - What ever happened to 005Clive, he hasn't logged in to WSF since November. That did sound like a good project.

Fancy sending him an email MikeJr? as I can't.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Guys and Gals,
Have just found a fishing log program for keeping your records on it looks to be pretty good http://www.fishinsight.com price $49.95 about £28.00 got to be worth a go for the younger members just starting out and wanting to keep a record of what, where and when.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts