World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As i dont live near the coast it can cost alot in petrol travelling back and forth collecting bait for evening sessions beach fishing, or getting just acouple of packs of worms delivered, so was wondering weather it worth setting up an aquarium to keeping worms for a few weeks in so i can order a large amounts and save money, does anyone know weather this is possible, or is there any other methods anyone can sugest,
Thanks Moods

·
The Ego
6,046 Posts
I have a bait fridge, which I have only just started using, I have kept maddies alive for over a week and the same for whites. the lug (blow) also survived for over a week but become rather delicate.
When you go to the beach just collect some sea water to keep the fish in. Im sure other people on here will give more knowledge on keeping them alive.

·
Registered
667 Posts
When I collect worms, I always clean them in sea water so there is no sand on them and fill up a spray bottle with sea water. When I get home, I wrap the worms in newspaper in tens and lightly spray the paper with the sea water. Check them every 1 or 2 days and remove any dead worms and change the paper, spraying lightly again. Kept in a fridge, they should last around 5 days.

·
Registered
11,356 Posts
you would need to collect fresh dug worms..[not those from tackle shops].

usually worms bought from shops wont go back into water, [i know some will]

if you can get a few large buckets of water that would easily last a couple of weeks you can keep the worms alive.

if every couple of weeks you could get a supply of water its possible to keep worms alive for months.

i will dig up some pms i will foreward to you.

you can also do a search for ... keeping worms alive. there will be loads of advice.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
After digging lug, I wash them in the sea with a colinder( the kind you use for vegetables) Then sort through them and check for any damaged ones as these turn the water quicker, they are fine for use the same day but dont put them in with any you plan to keep. Take some clean seawater home aswell.
I line old takeaway cartons with newspaper and then put about a dozen worms in each one, then put enough water just to cover the worms. Put them in your baitfridge then and check them daily, if the water has taken on any colour change it and remove any dead or floppy looking worms. Keep your spare water in the fridge so its the same temperature. If you overcrowd the worm they wont last as long.
If you put them in dry newspaper the day you want to use them it toughens the skin but they normally only last a few days
Good luck

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
as above m8 but make sure u collect your sea water well away from any fresh water outlets, sewage pipes or flood water streams, it will kill the worm.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Think of it the ame as if you wee collected, you could live at least a week without food, not much more than 2 days in high temperature without water.

Aquatic animals living in the intertidal zone can stand some time out of the water, max 6 hours, tide is 6 hours flood to ebb, approx. give them a break, you need to dunk them in salt water so they can breath and excrete. Even if you can't feed them they will live for a while if you provide breath, about a week.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts