World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I caught a new PB from the shore last weekend.

I under estimated the weight of fish, I thought it was about 8lb and was going to put it back until my friend offered to cook it on the beach and in the spare of the moment I decided to keep it. It actually weighed 9lb 14 ounce when I weighed it.

everyone who was there and friends congratulated me on the catch however there was one mate of mine who called us twats for killing it and said he hoped I would choke on it when eating it.

This is the only bass I have kept this year as I have returned all others.

I understand and respect that a minimum size limit is necessary and the 2 fish limit that is in place.

What doe people think about the size of bass that should be kept? should only medium size 4-6lb be kept?

·
Registered
353 Posts
It's the anglers choice at the end of the day , what I do know is , some people take everything they catch regardless of the rules , I take very little for the table these days , and many factors dictate what I do take , though I suspect from your post you may have wished you'd returned it .

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Did you and your Friend enjoy the Bass ?. How much fish can you eat, how many people to feed and the time preparation of the fish, gutted, de scale etc. I think you need to decide on the best size of fish to take before catching and eating. I would not feel bad about it, as you say, you have put plenty of Bass back. The big females are best to go back for breeding.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's the anglers choice at the end of the day , what I do know is , some people take everything they catch regardless of the rules , I take very little for the table these days , and many factors dictate what I do take , though I suspect from your post you may have wished you'd returned it .
When my mate criticized me for taking it, it made me question my decision to take it. After thinking about it though it made me think about what is conservation? is it best to take a dozen small - medium size bass (say 2.5lb-6.5lb) a year rather than a bigger bass. I understand the big ones lay 10-15 times more eggs but a smaller bass say of 3lb potentially bass has many years of breading ahead of it so by keeping it I would be taking that breading potential away?

is it broad as it is long with the size of fish one takes?

The idea of conservation has made me question.... are all bass equal importance in terms of breeding potential?

to be a effective conservationist should a person put all bass back including the 3-5lbers?

This has made me consider that the best thing to do in future is for myself to put all bass catch through the year back in the name of conservation.

Any thoughts? I would be interested to hear opinions?

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
You bring forward some very good points. Are all bass equal!! For one

Both repopulate the water with new generations , but the problem is how long they take to grow, that big fish will be very old, and think that it has for all those years dodged nets , angler's and trawler every year.

Not really sure myself, think a lot of bass caught and kept is an instinct of the hunter within all of us, but the modern life , becons to feel guilt and in the name of conservation put the fish back.

But if we were worried about conservation to the degree of following it to the letter, would we be fishing at all, tricking a fish to take the bait, collecting bait on a commercial scale . Snagged lines and lead in the water.

The thought process to which is better , a big or small bass , to be taken is a good one but we are governed by the 46cm regulation , and we can take a fish a day if we like. So taking a fish big or small I don't think is bad , rather enjoy the meal, don't waste anything is great.

The welfare of the fish being returned , is more important. From unhooking to a photo , (meaning time out the water , after a marathon fight for its life ) and the release.

I will only take a fish if it's been gut hooked or bleeding out.

Then we have the trawlers and illegal nets, you and I won't every catch as many big double figure bass that they take. The is no conservation thought here, only money.

Thing is we as a world population are eating out way to extinction , the population had hurt the natural world to the point that it dose not have a chance, if you look at how much mammals there left in the wild it's on 6 %if can remember, the 96 % is live stock.

So feel no guilt on your one fish , rather enjoy and take only when you need to, and the right size for you.e

·
Registered
9,213 Posts
Your prize and as long as you do not waste it there is no shame in giving family and friends a feed of fish !
IMO it is better for the angler to take the smaller legal fish because there are far more of them !

That is a huge fish for Lancs if that is where you caught it !:)

·
Registered
398 Posts
Your prize and as long as you do not waste it there is no shame in giving family and friends a feed of fish !
IMO it is better for the angler to take the smaller legal fish because there are far more of them !

Nothing wrong with taking fish for the table. The point about big bass is that they are generally females, also the smaller fish, say 3 to 5 lbs are usually better eating. I can't see why we should ever feel guilty about taking fish for the table though, as long as it isn't overdone. Moderation in all things - especially moderation!

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Hi All,

I caught a new PB from the shore last weekend.

I under estimated the weight of fish, I thought it was about 8lb and was going to put it back until my friend offered to cook it on the beach and in the spare of the moment I decided to keep it. It actually weighed 9lb 14 ounce when I weighed it.

everyone who was there and friends congratulated me on the catch however there was one mate of mine who called us ****s for killing it and said he hoped I would choke on it when eating it.

This is the only bass I have kept this year as I have returned all others.

I understand and respect that a minimum size limit is necessary and the 2 fish limit that is in place.

What doe people think about the size of bass that should be kept? should only medium size 4-6lb be kept?
:) You are, at the moment, allowed to keep 2 bass a day so you did no wrong. I used to put most of my fish, including bass, back, but I'll take my limit now because it will only be kept by netters so what's the point in C & R? ;)

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
:) You are, at the moment, allowed to keep 2 bass a day so you did no wrong. I used to put most of my fish, including bass, back, but I'll take my limit now because it will only be kept by netters so what's the point in C & R? ;)
Hi Norm, I guess it's choices, and it's to show we care and do our bit for conservation, that they allow RSA a two Bass bag limit per day, for most of the year, but turn a blind eye at illegals. Commercials it their livelihood and they still have to follow quotas and Bass bans, fill your boots with two a day:).

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Hi Norm, I guess it's choices, and it's to show we care and do our bit for conservation, that they allow RSA a two Bass bag limit per day, for most of the year, but turn a blind eye at illegals. Commercials it their livelihood and they still have to follow quotas and Bass bans, fill your boots with two a day:).
:) Not caught any this year as haven't fished for them. Personally I think bass are over rated for fight and eating so can't understand the AT joining up with BASS and SOSB as it makes them look like a single entity organisation which isn't good for anglers and angling at all. :(

·
Registered
353 Posts
Some good points raised in this thread , and it wasn't a criticism fishermangaz , I took a really good bass for the table myself once and had some similar criticism as you did , as I said it's the anglers choice to take or return it .
I take very little these days , but as Norm B stated we're allowed two a day so its down to the individual and if we don't take them the netters won't think twice , tight lines buddy

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
Congratulations on your PB mate .... i`m glad it fed you and yours ..... Its an irony lost on the catch and releasers that the fish they eat ( chip shop, frozen fish/fingers) is caught by the most unethical and damaging fishing methods ..... sea angling is not a blood sport so long as we remember fish are food..... Do i keep everything, no .... if its a good meal then its coming home to feed me and mine or someone i know .... If every fish eaten was caught by rod and line from the shore the seas would be teaming ..... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have only recently returned to sea fishing after a long gap, I have picked up a few Bass, but have kept none due to being under the 42cm. But the first one over 42cms is coming home for the table for sure, both my wife and I love Bass to eat, so I have no problem with it whatsoever.

The conservation measures in place at present, I think, suffice, but I will only take what we need fresh for the table. I am starting to freeze down Macks as bait for later sessions.

As for your, so called, mate..........We would have fallen out in a HUGE way!

Well done for your fish mate.

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
As said mate, it’s entirely down to you if you wanted to keep one.

My personal choice these days is to put back anything over 5lb, and even then I’d only keep one a session (assuming I was lucky enough to get two!)

But I’ve kept a 9lb plus in the past, and some eights, and sevens, lol, so would in no way condemn someone else for taking one.

Putting the bigger ones back now is the decision I came to a couple of years ago, but it wasn’t always so.

Agree with the comment about the ‘mate’ wishing you ill - that’s not a ‘mate’ worth having

·
Registered
309 Posts
i think its more ethical to catch and eat than catch and release. i get releasing undersize fish but releasing all seems a weird and b cruel to me. at the end of the do what you feel is right, and ignore the haters

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

I caught it Saturday night in Anglesey on a large live greater Sand eel/ Lance photo below and as profile photo

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Totally your choice, not for "mates" to have a pop. But a lot of people these days seem to feel entitled to force their views on other (see Twitter).

Everyone has a slightly different set of views. For me personally, I only fish with the intent of taking for the table and do everything I can to target that outcome. If I did pure C&R, I'd be uneasy about interfering with marine life for what I view (with regard to myself, no judgement of others) as "no good reason".

If I ever caught that elusive lunker of a bass (still yet to happen) there is a good chance that in the moment I'd not quite be able to take it. If I did, it wouldn't get wasted and we'd be grateful for what we had.

Have these questions and feel free to discuss them with others. And feel like the bigger person the next time you remember to not be the "mate" that forces their narrow view down your throat.

:)

PS while we only have control over our own actions, you taking a legal bass is one of the least of the evils on the planet and a drop in the ocean compared to various environmental and ethical car crashes that go on. It disturbs me how the "common person" can have their conscience pricked for any minor thing, while a relatively few individuals and companies are raping the planet and hoarding the wealth.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts