World Sea Fishing Forums banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Well done on your catch,I hope you enjoyed it. As you say lots are released by you so if you fancy a nice Bass dinner then go ahead, it's your choice and yours alone. There are far to many snowflakes trying to make us do what the minority wants. The EU trawlers take more in one drag of their nets than the whole of this forum will take in their lifetimes.

·
Registered
19,609 Posts
Well done on your catch,I hope you enjoyed it. As you say lots are released by you so if you fancy a nice Bass dinner then go ahead, it's your choice and yours alone. There are far to many snowflakes trying to make us do what the minority wants. The EU trawlers take more in one drag of their nets than the whole of this forum will take in their lifetimes.
;) Relating to criticism for taking a bass, how many complain about taking a large cod? ;)

·
Registered
121 Posts
The thinking is ridiculous, putting back undersize fish I can understand, putting back good eaters is criminal, as said boats like that huge dutch trawler are returning nothing, ALIVE, large or small so your impact on stocks is negligable.

Last season here there was a glut of small cod, I returned every fish my son and I caught but one as it had taken the bait right down, the rest were all borderline size and were released in the hope they'll be back bigger and better this season, I know nothing about fishes breeding age but assume that like all other species at a certain point in life they'll breed like rabbits while the elderly slow it down so taking a big fish is harming nothing.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hi All,

I caught a new PB from the shore last weekend.

I under estimated the weight of fish, I thought it was about 8lb and was going to put it back until my friend offered to cook it on the beach and in the spare of the moment I decided to keep it. It actually weighed 9lb 14 ounce when I weighed it.

everyone who was there and friends congratulated me on the catch however there was one mate of mine who called us ****s for killing it and said he hoped I would choke on it when eating it.

This is the only bass I have kept this year as I have returned all others.

I understand and respect that a minimum size limit is necessary and the 2 fish limit that is in place.

What doe people think about the size of bass that should be kept? should only medium size 4-6lb be kept?
My personal beelief is that if you eat it and dont waste it. Then its okay.
Im someone who catches 2 mackerel for the pan and release 20.
So i fully understand the conservation mindset.
Trawling for Fish damages fish stock numbers not us fishermen with rod and line.
I caught a 3lb Bass a fortnight ago and let it go.
But on another day i might have ate it.
Anglers choice and your one fish is not going to deplete Bass numbers into extinction
Tight Lines and i hope you enjoyed it

·
Registered
19,609 Posts
anything over 5lb put back i would say
:) Two schools of thought on this. If you release a big bass it will have larger and more eggs but less time to live and breed. A smaller bass will have a lot longer to live and breed, provided it can avoid the nets, so in the end it doesn't really matter, lay more and bigger eggs for a shorter time, or lay smaller and less eggs for a longer time, it tends to balance things out. ;)

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
Relying on the older fish as spawning stock is very flawed logic ... its like using old age pensioners to start up a breeding programme. There is a lot of talk about them releasing more eggs but what isn't talked about is reduced fertility rates in old fish ... its not good if a lot of the eggs are not fertile. For the stock to be healthy you need a wide range of breeding sizes so pigeon holing one particular size range to keep is daft. Quite frankly I think you are better taking the larger ones. They have been allowed to reproduce for many seasons and done their bit for their species and it is time for the younger generations of fish to do theirs .... this also is backed up by the raised MLS designed to allow every fish to breed at least once ... a big Bass has bred multiple years so everybody should be fine with taking a larger fish.

A lot of people will complain that the big ones don't make good eating ... nothing could be further from the truth (I'm sure you've already worked that out). You did nothing wrong and it was much better than eating a commercially taken fish after all. You acted well within the law, the fish was not wasted and its none of your "mate's" business if you want to eat it quite frankly. If anybody doesn't like big Bass to eat they can drop them round mine any time.

Oh... and by the way. That "mate" isn't a mate at all. He is a bit of a ***** by the sounds of it and more than likely he is just an envious *****. I hope you told him to go forth and multiply?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I find those who condemn sea angling as means to 'catch and eat', utterly hypocritical. They are prepared to eat fish from the supermarket, chippy etc but call us cruel!

They don't seem to mind trawlerman killing not just intended fish but anything that's swimming by. The dead by-catch of trawlers is obscene and when they lose a net it carries on killing........... for decades.

It's not just the by-catch that suffers, trawling with nets and chains destroys habitat too.

I think you need to educate your friend.................... if he is still a friend. Angling is infinitely less destructive to the environment as a whole.

I take bass...................... although I did release my PB bass.

·
Registered
311 Posts
i caught four bass yesterday, we had twenty five to the boat and all 7 of us took two good bass, i prepared four today two for me two for father inlaw, made a fish stock from the bones and trimmings then pulled out the vicious bones out and have a couple of meals for the dogs. also had five scad, two for tea very nice

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good on you if you caught a nice Bass and ate it. I think we deserve the odd fish for the table after the amount of time and effort put in and it can feel good to provide for the table. I only take what I or my family can eat, plus a few mackerel for bait. Moving to Bognor has given me more blanks than I've ever had, more likely to catch a Kayak or Paddleboard !

I do however get annoyed at the people that take really undersize fish, which is very common if you take a walk along the many piers on our coastline.

·
Registered
19,609 Posts
Good on you if you caught a nice Bass and ate it. I think we deserve the odd fish for the table after the amount of time and effort put in and it can feel good to provide for the table. I only take what I or my family can eat, plus a few mackerel for bait. Moving to Bognor has given me more blanks than I've ever had, more likely to catch a Kayak or Paddleboard !

I do however get annoyed at the people that take really undersize fish, which is very common if you take a walk along the many piers on our coastline.
:) Due to lack of enforcement by the relevant authorities, they can't be bothered to get off their backsides and do the job they're paid to do. :(

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
There is no right or wrong tbh, and if its over 42cm, its legal to take up to 2 bass per day between March 1st & Nov 30th this year.

Various schools of thought, with the most popular being a slot size of between 48 and 55cm being ideal to take - big enough to have bred and small enough to taste good and not affect the Gene pool too much.....

Once they get over this slot size, they not only start producing a MUCH larger number of eggs, but these eggs are MORE fertile and pass on the 'success' genes that the bass needs to grow this big, and hopefully go onto a much larger size. Bass are extremely slow growing and to live to double figures, are probably 20 odd years old - that's a long time surviving varied water conditions, temperature swings of hot summers and freezing winters, prey fluctuations, avoiding seals, dolphins, sharks, gillnets, ringnets, drift nets, spearfisherman etc etc, and this 'survival' instinct is hopefully what gets passed on in the eggs to the littleuns....

Having lots of smaller bass reproducing just once is great, but they aren't passing on any survival skills via their genes at this point.....

For every double figure bass that spawns, there are many hundreds of much smaller fish spawning, so in theory, only a very small percentage of bass eggs have the extra 'survival to grow big' gene in them....

Every time one gets banged on the head, netted, shot, poisoned etc etc, this gene pool gets smaller.

Nothing wrong with taking a legal fish of any species - its your choice at the end of the day.

Mart.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I catch fish for sport not to eat so I release everything unless I can use it as bait like mackerel for instance, that’s my choice and I wouldn’t put my views or opinions on any one else.
It’s pretty crazy if you think about how much is stacked against a small fish when it’s born everything in the sea wants to eat and for it to grow to such a good size is pretty remarkable. I just don’t personally want to be the one to kill it when it’s clearly doing well and beating the odds.

·
Registered
392 Posts
A friend of mine has caught 2x whoppers last couple of weeks. He's had a 10lb and 12lb bass, he returned both of them, not because they were too big, or they were females for breeding. He just doesn't like fish! Personally, I would've kept them both and eaten them both, I take nothing from the sea normally, as I very rarely catch anything I can eat :(

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Congratulations on the PB, and I hope the bass tasted great. Sounds like your so called mate has no respect for you or your choices. To eat your own catch is not wasteful, to kill a fish and not eat it when it is not needful to do so is the crime. So many others on the thread have said what I would say, so I'll keep it short. I would have done exactly the same as yourself.

·
Registered
23 Posts
There’s nothing wrong with taking it whatsoever.

Firstly, if everyone only ate fish they caught themselves then the world would be in a far better state.

Secondly, approx 30% of fish put back die anyway as a result of not being able to feed properly, infection or injury to the gills (I’m based in Germany and catch & release is actually illegal. Fishing is treated more like hunting than a ‚Sport‘)

thirdly, just enjoy the moment for yourself and a few limited others if necessary - never post about killing things on social media or large WhatsApp audiences...: that should deliver some inner peace.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts