World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Off on away boat trips again. Usually do not retain fish caught as no means of keeping fish fresh for days/time away and journey home. Catch returned or passed to other members of the crew / skipper. Okay, conserves stock, but sometimes I might want to retain a 'nice' fish for eating. Any recommendations on a portable fridge or freezer, size make etc. Or alternative method for preserving freshly caught fish in good condition for taking back home for later eating?
Thanks for any advice.
Armchair.
:fishing:

·
Registered
537 Posts
There have been previous threads on this. No doubt others will comment. But the Igloo type iceboxes will keep ice for up to 5 days. How long are your trips?

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
Portable fridges won't keep the fish cold enough. Fish will keep on ice for up to two weeks in theory, although I wouldn't fancy a two week old fish! You need a good insulating cool box or a polystyrene box for fish transport which you can buy on line, and keep replacing the melted ice with fresh.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for info/advice. Everyone seems to saying much the same, so I've received useful guidance.
My trips usually 7 days in total.

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
The fridge in my current boat actually has a freezer section that I can use to keep a few choice fillets nice and cold. If away for a while I tend to fillet the fish I'm keeping and store the fillets in grip top plastic bags. Squeeze all the air out before sealing then they go in the yeti cool box under the ice.

·
Registered
842 Posts
The best ice is frozen salt water. I'd you can get it.
Try to keep the water away from the fish especially if you fillet the fish.(fresh or salt ice)

·
Registered
614 Posts
Keeping the fish very cool is important but so is the preparation of the fish prior to storage.
Blood goes off very quickly and will taint the flesh. if possible stun and bleed any fish you wish to keep as soon as they come onboard.
I use a good heavy priest and then cut the throat and place the fish head down in a large bin of seawater (a builders bucket can cope with fish up to 20lb). The seawater prevents the blood from coagulating as quickly compared to bleeding out in fresh air. After 5 mins the fish can be gutted and put in your cold box.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There's always something to learn in this game. Thanks for the advice.
Don't think I will ever be an expert, but all our (your) collective knowledge must come close to it.
Cheers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts