World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
would it be ok to keep rag in my fridge overnight? Do i just leave it in the newspaper that the tackle shops provides it in? I'm someway inland and want to get some bait one day & take it home for an early start the following morning! I won't have access to seawater and the wife won't allow the worms to roam free around the fridge if you know what I mean!

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
They will be fine in the fridge mate,leave wrapped in paper and put it in a plastic bag and they will be ok to use.​

·
Registered
506 Posts
i have kept worms up to a week just in a butter tub in my bait fridge so yeah they should be fine m8

·
Registered
66 Posts
Absolutely, no problem at all. Taking them to the fishing venue in a cool bag/box (still wrapped up) will help keep them fresh if you have to travel quite a distance to the sea.

·
Registered
184 Posts
cant see a problem with that m8,but i would edge on caution and change the paper at least once,otherwise it tends to go all soggy.tight lines mate.
kjp.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Sorry but i left worms in a plastic bag blown the next day (mush) == PAT
dont see how that happened m8 allways leave mine in for days sometimes straight from my local tackle shop in the newspaper it came with and just in a plastic bag to make sure none fall out ;p

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
dont see how that happened m8 allways leave mine in for days sometimes straight from my local tackle shop in the newspaper it came with and just in a plastic bag to make sure none fall out ;p
If you don't know your tackle shop/bait-supplier well, but have a couple of spare days before you go and don't have to travel too far to get it you could do this:

get a small amount 2 or 3 days before you go store it in the fridge overnight - if it looks o.k. after 18+ hours go back and get more from the same place. If it "blows" go elsewhere or get other bait.

If bait survives without mishap one night, and the newspaper is still clean & dry (or you change the paper to clean, cold & dry) then it will almost certainly survive a few more nights....but you have to check daily for dead worms or a lot of blood leaked into the paper (maybe one single worm had been damaged, or blew up after a while)

try not to use newspaper with coloured photos on it...at least, not in contact with the ragworms' skin.

The plastic bag only causes trouble if there is "sweating" (condensation) inside it which shouldn't happen if the temperature is about 5 or 6 degrees C and steady.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
if you plan to keep them for more than about 4 or 5 days, then you'll want to think about changing paper daily and maybe moistening very slightly with seawater at fridge temperature or follow the advice given on this site about keeping them for a long time.

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
Used a lot of rag over winter. Tried them in newspaper (changed), extra sea peat, and finally, what ive found the best so far is this:

margerine tubs with couple of layers of newspaper in the bottom, then fill with saw dust (not the fine stuff, but the rougher, almost shavings). Also I only kept 5 or 6 in one margering tub (the larger 500g ones). They lasted over two weeks for me like that.

Additional tips are to take a bit of care over them - when first sorting them out look out for their tails - if the tails are starting to wither keep all those in a seperate tub for using quickly, also if you take them out for a session then the remaining ones will need to be used in a day or two.

Not yet tried keeping them in trays of sea water, but thats supposed to be very good if you can replace the seawater often and remove any dead worms immediately - suspect it would be the best method with proper maintenance, but that maintenance level will be higher.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts