World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm staying at Diani beach in September and am a keen lure angler. Anyone have any experience of lure fishing from the shore in this area and whether it's worth pursuing? All advice much appreciated.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Might be worth enqiring whether that section of coast is part of the national park , because if so no beach fishing !!!

i am pretty sure it doesnt extend much below malindi , but might be worth checking

Richard

·
Registered
222 Posts
Kenya Wildlife Service are constantly expanding their reserve areas.
In all there is no beach fishing inside the reefs.
I think in Diani you're already covered by the Mombasa reserve.
Hence no beach fishing.
However, I stand to be corrected! LOL

·
Registered
139 Posts
Over 10 years since I was there. I did fish with lures but with no luck.
I was wading out trying to cast to the drop off and it wasn't til low water that I realised where I had been walking was littered with holes into cavernous areas. Had I stepped in one I would have been a gonner!
Best to try and get a share on one of the sports boats if poss but there were'nt a large number of boats available, unlike Malindi. I got a trip via the guys who looked after the sunbeds at the hotel and got a couple of nice dorado.

Enjoy the holiday.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all!

Interesting reading the various threads on here about Diani. I am going in little over 3 weeks and am very excited as its my first trip to Africa. I am hoping it will be worth taking my own gear with me but it seems that much of the beach is in conservation area so no fishing.

Is it possible to walk safely away from the resorts to find fishy areas where you are allowed to fish and if so is it worth me taking my own gear? I have a set up I was hoping to hook some GTs on in Sri-lanka (ok light for them, 30lb class! lots of BIG poppers) is there anything fun I could catch from shore on this?

I may just take this with me anyway for if I go on a charter boat. I dont get on with Multiplier reels without the line guide and handle on the wrong side as I never use them and find them terribly awkward.

Anyone else going out from May 4th-18th fancy sharing a boat? :)

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
There was no beach fishing allowed when i was there and if you wanted to walk 'off piste' further along the beach they would supply a Bamburi ? (a local with bow and arrow)

Be very careful if you choose to book a boat, i booked a trip directly with the 'captain' of a nice clean looking sports boat, but when he turned up in the morning he was captain of a dugout canoe, i went anyway but it was a scary time crossing the reef, both going out and back in again, and we caught nothing but i did get a bite that nearly pulled me out of the boat as the drag had jammed on the reel. Luckily the hook straightened.

Luckily, it wasn't a fishing holiday and i was just chancing at getting a 'dabble'

Its a great place if a little pricey in the resorts and on safari.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Hi crafty, I was in Diani a little while ago seeking sanctuary from the Kenyan election. To be honest it is not a good place to go fishing, I did a fair bit of snorkelling in the lagoon inside the reef and saw no fish over a kilo. The charter boats imo are very expensive for the quality of fishing available. We got one boat down to 200 euros for 6 hours and then decided it wasn't worth going.

You may be able to do some shore fishing a little further south in a place called Shimoni, I never went there but is supposed to be really nice. Alternatively if you fancy heading north there is some excellent fishing to be had out of Watamu, not shore fishing but boat fishing. Most of it is trolling and jigging but there are some good size GTs there as well as Yellowfin and dorado the time of year you are thinking. Which is incidentally the rainy season, so the weather will be no means guaranteed.

I went on an a little boat called the Alfajiri, Italian owned and skippered by a Kenyan called Abdulla, who is excellent. The boat is cheap, about 15000 ks per day (after haggling) the only downside being all the fish are kept, which appears to be becoming standard practice in Kenya. Oh and definitely take your own gear if you like fishing light, they are only set up with marlin and sail outfits which are good quality but take all the excitement out of catching smaller fish.

Hope this helps and hasn't knocked the wind out of your sails.

Jeremy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Brilliant chaps, thank you so so much. Im only going for a dabble, its mainly a break im having with the mrs. Thats a real shame that there is no decent shore fishing, I guess I will take my rod just in case I decide to go out on a boat but certainly wont be breaking my back (or bank) to kit out past ree-spooling my reel. I may post up again once I've done a bit more digging about boats. Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Langrange-is it safe to do this and how much does this cost?

You say dabbling, when I went to Cuba there were Barracuda off shore. Ideally I want to hook something double figures or bigger as I'm kitted out 30lb class.

If its safe/cheap/easy to travel ill venture off. I'm staying at the Baobab, if I walk far enough will I find beach which allows fishing and if so are there fish to go for?

If not i will bite the bullet and either grab a local boat, or a proper charter. Im on a budget either way and also just on a two week vacation with my mrs, it's just travelling all that way I wouldn't want to miss out on a potential whacker or two!

All replys welcome and appreciated :D

I'm off Saturday so if I need to arrange something before hand it will need to be tomorrow.

Many thanks :)

·
Registered
570 Posts
If I remember rightly it is in the conservation area so no fishing in side the reelfs. But I don't think you are that far from mtwapa creek. You will find a few boats there one of the better boats is run by John Rodwell, his charge is about 550 dollars for 8 hours, that is to charter the boat upto 4 people (I think). he had all the gear, but the fishing you may want is trolling, we had sailfish upto 90lb and barracuda upto 40lb. Marlin and sailfish best time ubfortunately February. Barracuday most of the year.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts