World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having just returned from Kenya on safari and fishing, the fishing was three days out of mtwapw but have now realised that in the area malindi is the better option. I used a company for boat fishing owned by Walter Brun, he had said that we would be tagging and releasing bill fish and possibly taking a couple of other fish for the table, he also said he was supplying free drinks, we had a sail fish of 77lb which was clubbed to death by the skipper and it was mentioned by Walter Brun as 'OH Well, doesn't matter' and the free drinks mentioned cost me 3500 KSH. My recommendation to all anglers is if you are tempted to use Walter Brun please be careful. I did manage to catch 1 dorado about 15lb, so not the best fishing either. on the boat between two of us we had 4 dorado and a sail fish over the three days. The sail fish was caught on day 3

·
Registered
222 Posts
Unfortunately, there are some unenlightened skippers out there, and not just in Kenya.
As you say. On the North Coast, Malindi and even more so Watamu offer much more in options and are generally more aware of conservation issues and humane treatment of all fish caught.
Having said that, there are still some outfits that undercut the competition but then have to kill & sell their catch (including Sails & Marlin)
Undoubtedly a small percentage of fish either die during the fight, or are so exhausted that releasing them would not be successful, but the vast majority will do well if handled correctly.
I attach a copy of proposed charges for the next season (unchanged from this year)
I wonder how that compares to what you were charged?
1619260_669623679747106_1463821388_n.jpg
Best regards

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Having just returned from Kenya on safari and fishing, the fishing was three days out of mtwapw but have now realised that in the area malindi is the better option. I used a company for boat fishing owned by Walter Brun, he had said that we would be tagging and releasing bill fish and possibly taking a couple of other fish for the table, he also said he was supplying free drinks, we had a sail fish of 77lb which was clubbed to death by the skipper and it was mentioned by Walter Brun as 'OH Well, doesn't matter' and the free drinks mentioned cost me 3500 KSH. My recommendation to all anglers is if you are tempted to use Walter Brun please be careful. I did manage to catch 1 dorado about 15lb, so not the best fishing either. on the boat between two of us we had 4 dorado and a sail fish over the three days. The sail fish was caught on day 3
Having fished out of Mtwapa around 75 times out of 11 years I found John & Ken Rodwell the best operation, they live a little further down the creek than Walter Brun.
I fished with Walter about 10 times, and although we caught 2 Marlin, many sailfish and very many Wahoo, Cuda's, Dorado, YFT among species we stopped fishing with him because he would not allow us to give the crew a fish to take home and feed his family.
We fished a competition and WON it with him too, we paid to enter the competition, and the fish caught are owned by those who hire the boat, but he sold the fish at end of competition and tried to keep the money. We did not stand for that and after much arguing we got the money back.

Malindi and Watamu operate on much richer fishing grounds further up the North coast. BUT these boats charge up to £600 per day compared to £300 per day we were paying at Mtwapa.
We did catch every time we went out, and on a few days we caught so many we requested a earlier finish because we were so tired.
My last trip was Jan 2011, 5 Sailfish and a few Dorado, but it sounds as though the fishing was poor in that area on your trip.
I am reading catch reports from the Malindi area weekly and Black, Blue and Striped Marlin are being caught in good numbers and some in good sizes, although they too are getting some quiet days.
That's fishing though.

·
Registered
21,123 Posts
Unfortunately, there are some unenlightened skippers out there, and not just in Kenya.
As you say. On the North Coast, Malindi and even more so Watamu offer much more in options and are generally more aware of conservation issues and humane treatment of all fish caught.
Having said that, there are still some outfits that undercut the competition but then have to kill & sell their catch (including Sails & Marlin)
Undoubtedly a small percentage of fish either die during the fight, or are so exhausted that releasing them would not be successful, but the vast majority will do well if handled correctly.
I attach a copy of proposed charges for the next season (unchanged from this year)
I wonder how that compares to what you were charged?
View attachment 195651
Best regards
:doh: Couldn't open attachment. :doh:

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't seem to work the link either

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Kenya Catch Report.
News

This is where I watch whats happening, but this report is only based on what skippers report and sadly many don't report at all.

Feb

Marlin turn on for first day at Kilifi Classic

Written by David Slater "Honeylulu"

With the weather having improved and the sun shining expectations were high as twenty-two boats set out last Saturday for the first day of the Capt Andy’s Kilifi Classic tournament. White Mischief and Clueless both ended the day with three marlin each, while Simba, Joint Venture, Jasiri, De Grand Cat and Kipapa also all caught a marlin, and many other strikes failed to hook up. Minerva found a sailfish, but it was all the marlin strikes making the news.

The next day was very different, with only Simba catching a marlin, and Dingbat a sailfish, so the final result was White Mischief, fished by Danny Thomas and Callum Scott, first overall as well as leading in the amateur stream and winning a Yamaha 9hp outboard engine, followed by Clueless, fished by Eric van Vliet, skipper Rob Duff and Mario, leading in the professional stream. Simba were third, Jasiri fourth and De Grand Cat fifth, while Dingbat was second in the amateurs with Minerva third.

The Friday before the tournament was a good day for marlin everywhere, with three blue and two black marlin flags at Watamu, while down at Shimoni, Kamara II had an amazing day with three anglers from Australia, tagging four striped marlin while White Otter tagged three stripeys, but the following day was very quiet in the Pemba Channel. Not so further north, with Watamu seeing six marlin come in as well as the good action at Kilifi, and Monday produced four marlin at Watamu, including a nice blue on Unreel, estimated at 160kgs, which was released carrying one of our precious satellite tags, provided by the African Billfish Foundation. This will be due to pop up in three months time to send all the relevant data to a satellite.

Simba continued her good run with a blue both days after the pair in the tournament, while Alleycat has also had a successful week releasing two blues on Saturday, another on Monday, a sail on Tuesday and another blue marlin the day after. Neptune went for sail in the Malindi waters, and found four while White Mischief tried at night for broadbill, but missed a hookup on the only strike, but compensated with a small blue marlin in the early morning – two other boats also failed to catch any broadbill swordfish.

Good marlin fishing in the Rips – let’s hope it continues for the Watamu SFC tournament this weekend, followed by the Hemingways ‘Friends of Kenya’ two day and a night competition.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts

Mar

Written by David Slater

The Watamu SFC Festival was fished in nice weather over last weekend, with 26 boats finding a total of fourteen marlin, seventeen sail and a mako shark over the two days with all the fish released. The first day leader was White Bear with two striped and one blue marlin, followed by Seyyida with two blue marlin and a sail, while Seastorm, White Otter, WIT and Shuwari also had a marlin each.

On the Sunday, White Bear added another striped marlin to give anglers Robin James and Jamie Shepherd the first prize ahead of the team on Seyyida in second place overall with Tim Brown taking Top Angler for his two blue marlin and two sail. Unreel, fished by Mark and Millie Jury and Jinga found two blues and a sail the second day to take third overall and White Otter with two blues was fourth, with Gael Edwards awarded Top Lady Angler for her blue marlin. Jackson Safari on White Bear won the Skipper’s prize, while Jameel Khan on What It Takes won best young angler for his marlin.

A days rest, then most of the boats were at it again in the Hemingways ‘Friends of Kenya” tournament, two whole days and a night of uninterrupted fishing, with boats trying for broadbill swordfish at night. Twenty-four boats caught nineteen blue, two black and two striped marlin, seventeen broadbill and twenty-three sailfish between them, an amazing total. Notably, Richie Moller in Pintail, a small eighteen feet open boat caught a 229kg blue marlin, standing up as the boat has no chair! Simon Roache on B’s Nest caught a 270kg blue marlin which died on the line, another huge fish!

Anglers Rick Lemonnier, Don Lafferty and Rich Roberts from Dubai won first prize, with four blue and two striped marlin and two sail on Neptune, fishing the North Kenya Banks for a terrific catch which put them well ahead of Pintail, with Richie Moller and Russ Brumby who came second, a fine effort in such a small boat. Third were James and Simon Redfern and Rhino Rauscher in Combava, visiting from Tanzania, with a great catch of three blue marlin and two sailfish, while Tom Cunningham, Peter Darnborough and Juma Chea in Alleycat were fourth with two blue marlin.

Unreel came fifth, Mark and Millie Jury and Sean Cremin catching a blue marlin, two broadbill and a sail, while Matt Bell, Olivia Tandane and Fernando da Silva Cruz in Seastorm were sixth with a blue marlin, a broadbill and three sail.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts