World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if the white rag that hookers sell are any good? I’m thinking of ordering some and I’d like to keep it alive so I can use it whenever I need it.

How do you keep it and how long can it keep?

·
Registered
11,461 Posts
keep it alive in trays of shallow sea water.

it must be kept cold in a fridge. the best way is to use about 6mm of corral or fine washed sea coal. they love to burry in it.

not too many in each tray. obviously the bigger they are the smaller the numbers.

large snakes [12in plus] i have about 6 in a tray.

medium [6in pearlies] around 15 - 20.

smaller string type worms 20 - 30.

only change the water with water chilled to the same temp.

once they are settled just cange half the water once a week. you can ezpect to keep them for a few months at least. ive had large snakes for well over 6 months and known others keep them longer.

i find the smaller worms the hardest to keep. if you get a dieing or knicked worm, take it out imediately and do a water change.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The ones for sale on hookers bait website, what size are these? Mediums?

Where can I get corral or sea coal from?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The ones on hookers are only sand worms, they wont really keep for longer than 2 weeks will they?

·
Registered
11,461 Posts
all whiteworms are sand worms. you probably mean the smaller worms. they will keep fine in a shallow tray of water changed regularly. keep checking for any dead ones and remove straight away.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
if your looking for long term storage, chinese takeaway plastic pots are great.

put 20 sand whites or 1 or 2 snakes, add enough water to barely cover them. stack in the fridge, check once a week (the less disturbance the better) remove any dead or damaged worms. this way if one worm dies and you don't notice quickly enough you only loose a small amount not the whole lot.

i've kept sand whites for a month and still find. i've kept snakes for 3 months and still perfect.

they do take a lot of space up but the most reliable way to store. if you want to use them within a week or 2 a cat litter tray is easier (you can fit 100 or so per litter tray), with enough water to barely cover them again. check every day (try not to move the tray) and remove any dead or damaged worms.

i keep any damaged/ cut or part worms in a separate container and use these first.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I agree with most of what has been written but what is not mentioned is aeration. Light aeration helps keep the water quality good for longer without water changes for both whites and king rag and allows more worms to be kept in the same tray. You also find that the water stays clear for longer with a little aeration.

The important thing is that it needs to be light aeration as over-doing it damages the worms.

I've kept both whites and kings for over three months.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
i find the main advantage of keeping in small batches, the smaller the better, is that if you miss a dead or damaged worm and it kills the rest of the worms that are in that container/ water you will only loose a few worms rather than the whole lot.

also no extra cost with no aerator, just the running of the fridge. but you do need more space, ideally an old fridge in the shed to use just for bait.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
i find the main advantage of keeping in small batches, the smaller the better, is that if you miss a dead or damaged worm and it kills the rest of the worms that are in that container/ water you will only loose a few worms rather than the whole lot.

also no extra cost with no aerator, just the running of the fridge. but you do need more space, ideally an old fridge in the shed to use just for bait.
I find that once the worms have settled after two or three days I don't loose any worms. The number of trays you can get in a fridge is limited so with aeration I can store more worms.

I'm sure that water quality stays better. Sea water needs aeration to stay healthy.

It's noticeable that king ragworm are a much better colour when lightly aerated; you can't tell with white though as there's no colour change. The ones below are very healthy even though a bit crowded.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
looks like different methods that achieve similar results. people can use the method that suits them best, always nice to have options.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Coal duff wash it and water just covering the duff had some for over a year now I change water every week and reuse water on lug/rag nee bother saves on water

1 - 13 of 13 Posts