Fish Caught: well over a 100
Best Fish: 33cm dab
Bait: fresh lug, fresh blacks and fresh mackerel
Sea State: calm
Weather Conditions: rain clearing away slight breeze dark
Sizeable: roughly 90% of the catch
Undersize: roughly 10% of the catch
Tide State: 1 and half hours up 3 and a half down

Well after hardly fishing for the past 6 months and really not enjoying fishing it was reading a catch report and the thread on dabbing that I decided to go and have a bash...with not a single thought of codling on my mind I headed over to Angling Mad [via Morrisons for some mackerel] to grab some blacks and some lug, then off to Kessingland to meet up with my mate.

Myself, Jason and Shez were set up and fishing by quarter past 5, Shez and I were using 2 hook flapper's with short snoods and size 2's and 2 hook loops with the same, It was fish from the off, throughout the night I would guess that the dabs outnumbered the whiting 2:1

there were no undersized dabs at all, with the majority coming in between 24cm and 28cm, the bigger dabs seemed to come towards the end of session mid ebb, where we picked up a few 29's a couple of 30's and my biggest which went 33cm, the whiting were typically between 29 and 32cm unless undersized, although there were a few bigger ones, the biggest of 40cm going to my mate.

A few observations I made were that the dabs were taking both the black and lug tipped with mackerel, if it wasn't tipped it seemed to bring just whiting..this wasn't an exact science just an observation.

The bigger dabs also came on a hook length which i added luminous beads to after snapping a hook off, this could be coincidence or a theory lol, will experiment more next trip..which will hopefully be tomorrow with Bri and Mr.1i and anyone else that wants to join us

I know not every session is going to be like that, but this one couldn't have come at a better time to help me remember what I loved about fishing.

Fish Fish Fish products Seafood Food

Cheers Luggy

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
I don't target Dabs this time of year as I'm after the bigger sized Whiting on fish baits but also found the big Dabs love fish baits, I use 2/0 circles but the Dabs just gorge the fish baits into their little gobs and get hooked,

·
Registered
481 Posts
HI there
i'am glad they are still biting this week.Best session i have had for a while last week.may have to have another go this week.Were there many fishing last night?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HI there
i'am glad they are still biting this week.Best session i have had for a while last week.may have to have another go this week.Were there many fishing last night?

Hi compo, there were 3 fishing to my left, and some much further up near the sluice, was quite quiet to be honest. going back tonight for a few hours as well :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.