World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend Dave and I decided to take a break from the usual Shingle Street option and looked to somewhere new for us in the north of the county. Having fished Dunwich several times we thought the Kessingland area may be worth a go. With an evening high tide of around 1900hrs and a reasonable weather forecast we headed up the A12 and arrived in Kessingland at about 1500hrs. We parked at the end of Rider Haggard Lane and from here we could actually hear the roar of the sea.

Walking out from the footpath and onto the steps which led down to the beach we were met with views of a formidable sea with some incredible surf! Not put off by this we walked across the dunes and had a closer look. The offshore bar was clearly visible about 1/2 mile out but there then seemed to be at least two inshore bars closer in. The forecast “gentle” south-easterly wind was more like a moderate easterly which seemed to be whipping up the waves! Despite the state of the sea and wind we decided to dig in and fish on.

The target species was codling, we both knew that would be a hard ask but we rigged up accordingly. I fished a pulley rig, shortened to a 3-feet hook length given the waves and undertow and I also fished a 2-hook bomber rig. Baits were black lug, rag, squid and some frozen sprats and large prawns that Dave had found at the bottom of his freezer.

Casting to some of the calmer water still meant the rod tips were bouncing with the surf and bite detection was difficult. However, within about 5 minutes Dave pulled in the first ting of the session. This seemed to signal the start of the ting invasion and we both caught fish constantly all evening with may double-shots. The big cod baits were devoured by tings of a similar size and interestingly the better tings took the sprats- fished whole on a pennel rig with black lug whipped alongside it. I had one ting that perhaps was just over the 1lb mark and a few others close to it.

At the top of the tide a decent pull down bite on the bomber rig saw me praying to the sea gods that the codling had arrived but despite some head-banging and a bit of weight a decent dogfish on the top hook and ting on the bottom hook appeared!

We decided to finish the session at about 2030hrs by which time the wind had finally become a gentle breeze although there was a real chill to it. No codling, but 1 dogfish and perhaps 50+ tings.

It had been a hard session with the state of the surf and waves and it would good to return on a calmer sea day to check out the beach and bars properly. The area is also meant to be good for dabs so perhaps they may show on our next visit. It would be good to hear from others who fish the Kessingland area to learn how best to fish it and any favoured parts of the beach.

Sky Cloud Water Beach Wood

Cloud Water Sky Azure Beach

·
Registered
58 Posts
Nice one Bill, all good fun by the sounds of it.
I haven’t fished Kessingland for many many years even though it’s probably only a 15min drive for me. From what I do remember we used to fish near the sluice (heading south) with some fairly good results. But as mentioned, that was probably when the Ken Dodd’s weren’t so illusive.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My friend Dave and I decided to take a break from the usual Shingle Street option and looked to somewhere new for us in the north of the county. Having fished Dunwich several times we thought the Kessingland area may be worth a go. With an evening high tide of around 1900hrs and a reasonable weather forecast we headed up the A12 and arrived in Kessingland at about 1500hrs. We parked at the end of Rider Haggard Lane and from here we could actually hear the roar of the sea.

Walking out from the footpath and onto the steps which led down to the beach we were met with views of a formidable sea with some incredible surf! Not put off by this we walked across the dunes and had a closer look. The offshore bar was clearly visible about 1/2 mile out but there then seemed to be at least two inshore bars closer in. The forecast “gentle” south-easterly wind was more like a moderate easterly which seemed to be whipping up the waves! Despite the state of the sea and wind we decided to dig in and fish on.

The target species was codling, we both knew that would be a hard ask but we rigged up accordingly. I fished a pulley rig, shortened to a 3-feet hook length given the waves and undertow and I also fished a 2-hook bomber rig. Baits were black lug, rag, squid and some frozen sprats and large prawns that Dave had found at the bottom of his freezer.

Casting to some of the calmer water still meant the rod tips were bouncing with the surf and bite detection was difficult. However, within about 5 minutes Dave pulled in the first ting of the session. This seemed to signal the start of the ting invasion and we both caught fish constantly all evening with may double-shots. The big cod baits were devoured by tings of a similar size and interestingly the better tings took the sprats- fished whole on a pennel rig with black lug whipped alongside it. I had one ting that perhaps was just over the 1lb mark and a few others close to it.

At the top of the tide a decent pull down bite on the bomber rig saw me praying to the sea gods that the codling had arrived but despite some head-banging and a bit of weight a decent dogfish on the top hook and ting on the bottom hook appeared!

We decided to finish the session at about 2030hrs by which time the wind had finally become a gentle breeze although there was a real chill to it. No codling, but 1 dogfish and perhaps 50+ tings.

It had been a hard session with the state of the surf and waves and it would good to return on a calmer sea day to check out the beach and bars properly. The area is also meant to be good for dabs so perhaps they may show on our next visit. It would be good to hear from others who fish the Kessingland area to learn how best to fish it and any favoured parts of the beach.

View attachment 1398099
View attachment 1398098
Great report and nice pics thanks for the info.
Going to have a Dab session at Kessingland soon . Will let you know what happens.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts