World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my Dad over staying for the weekend so him and I decided to head out over the weekend.

Dug some lug at Sandhead on Friday night and headed off Saturday morning to Knock Bay at Killantringan. Set up two bottom fishing rods on the rocks to the left of the bay with lug tipped off with squid and casted out across the bay. There was a fair bit of swell on the incoming tide and we had to move further in to avoid getting drenched (learned this after I got soaked by a humungous wave whilst baiting up)!! Managed to dry my socks on the rod rest and the rest of my clothes dried on me when the sun came out so all was not lost! In addition to the bait rods I was spinning with a variety of lures off the rocks. Total catch for the day was one flounder about 1llb in weight. Not sure what this area fishes like normally.

Headed to Port Logan pier on Sunday and got there early afternoon. There were a few folk fishing from the side of the pier and access was limited so we decided to set up on the sandy are across the bay. This was a bad move as incoming weed was just totally endless. Gave it about an hour then gave up. From speaking to the guys at the pier it would seem that no one was having any joy. The rain was a bit unpleasant too but as the saying goes "You don't catch fish sitting in the house!"

Went to Terally bay after that and my Dad caught a small grey gurnard and a small wrasse on lug. I was float fishing sand eel and caught nowt. Tried spinning again also but this proved fruitless too.

Will hopefully have something worth taking a picture of on my next trip.

·
Specimen Hunter
3,276 Posts
aye things are slow on the west, not trying to make excuses but i do think the algae last year has killed off alot of potential food the fish were feeding on, fish arent going to go where there is no food for them

just a thought, its not totally bare but thats just my view

·
Registered
6 Posts
:bounce:Would agree with second post, I have fished between Sandhead and the Mull since April and have only been catching Pollock and Wrasse, but this might cheer both of you up. Caught this Saturday afternoon on crab a bait I have not had much success on, it's a PB 2.4Kilo if my crap scales are accurate (1st Bass of 2010). Caught in the Mull area. ATB Gingernut.

Attachments

·
Specimen Hunter
3,276 Posts
:bounce:Would agree with second post, I have fished between Sandhead and the Mull since April and have only been catching Pollock and Wrasse, but this might cheer both of you up. Caught this Saturday afternoon on crab a bait I have not had much success on, it's a PB 2.4Kilo if my crap scales are accurate (1st Bass of 2010). Caught in the Mull area. ATB Gingernut.
yup luce bay seems to be doing well this year :wiggle: witnessed bass chasing sandeel , pretty cool to see

·
Registered
822 Posts
Plenty of fish to 5lb been caught in Luce bay the past fortnight, I've never had so many fish out of Luce bay before to be honest

·
Specimen Hunter
3,276 Posts
I take it you've been bait fishing mate?
im not goin got say what part but my m8s had 2 11lbers in the same night, one of them works in the creamery, im sure you will know him,

they also had alot of other bass, personally i could say its not fishing well but thats because ive not been hitting it the way i used to, if i were to get my finger out im sure i would be rewarded,

ive been hearing good things from reliable sources :sun:

·
Registered
423 Posts
I am with Kevin on this one, things have been very slow. Pollock numbers seem ok but not in the same size. Bass are not there in the same numbers as last year. I am not a boat fisherman but from what I have heard smoothies are in and tope not so much.

Not seen anywhere near as much mackerel, sand eel or mullet action in the bay compared to last year.

Hears hoping for a better august and sept.

·
Specimen Hunter
3,276 Posts
I am with Kevin on this one, things have been very slow. Pollock numbers seem ok but not in the same size. Bass are not there in the same numbers as last year. I am not a boat fisherman but from what I have heard smoothies are in and tope not so much.

Not seen anywhere near as much mackerel, sand eel or mullet action in the bay compared to last year.

Hears hoping for a better august and sept.
did he phone you up to come on and back him up? :D just kidding, theres certain places i feel that arent fishing as well they should but i think the bay is fishing well, i guess it just depends on what you do, lure, bait, quarry etc its a funny old game fishing

·
Registered
423 Posts
did he phone you up to come on and back him up? :D just kidding, theres certain places i feel that arent fishing as well they should but i think the bay is fishing well, i guess it just depends on what you do, lure, bait, quarry etc its a funny old game fishing

Na we are both big enough boys.

There is a large decrease in the number of decent catch reports on here for the area for a start and a few of the more experienced bass fishermen also struggling.

·
Specimen Hunter
3,276 Posts
Na we are both big enough boys.

There is a large decrease in the number of decent catch reports on here for the area for a start and a few of the more experienced bass fishermen also struggling.
aye? a couple of my pals that fish near sandhead have had great times with the bass, also just today when i was fishing i was pulling a dog in and a big fish followed, it was a bass of easy 7lb it dwarfed the doggy, i slowed the retieve down to see what it would do but it turned away, i shouted to a bunch of lads fishing just along from me if they had lures or spinners as there was big bass about, they must of thought who the hell is this guy lol,

not even a minute later there was mackeral jumping vertically out the water doing a bit of tail walking, it was great to see, even better for the other guys to see it after me shouting over to them, pitty i never had lures tho

·
Registered
423 Posts
aye? a couple of my pals that fish near sandhead have had great times with the bass, also just today when i was fishing i was pulling a dog in and a big fish followed, it was a bass of easy 7lb it dwarfed the doggy, i slowed the retieve down to see what it would do but it turned away, i shouted to a bunch of lads fishing just along from me if they had lures or spinners as there was big bass about, they must of thought who the hell is this guy lol,

not even a minute later there was mackeral jumping vertically out the water doing a bit of tail walking, it was great to see, even better for the other guys to see it after me shouting over to them, pitty i never had lures tho
Not been out with the plugs for a couple of weeks (leaky waders + change in weather).

Cant deny a definite downturn in the amount of reports so far? I have only had 1 blank ( I think) on plugs so far this year, but in saying that I have only had a max of 2 schoolies in a session.

Mackerel were a bit late in so lets hope the same is true for the rest and Aug and Sept will be a little more productive.

Failing that I will just need to find out who your mates are across the road at CCC and shamelessly beg them to show me the error of my ways. :cc_surren

1 - 14 of 14 Posts