World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been hearing that commercial longliners are starting to target tope all round the country, with France being the marketplace for them.
We all know what happened to the spurdog when they were targeted a couple of decades ago, almost wiped out and still no sign of a recovery.
Any ways to protect this valuable sporting species?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just read the editorial in BFM, ok, so I'm a bit slow, still it doesn't do any harm to highlite a potential disaster.

·
Banned
396 Posts
solent dave said:
just about sums up the french
it aint their fault, we slagged the russians off in the 70s over their factory ships anchorin just outside our exclusion zone, then we all watched our trawlermen going out with their catch and sellin it to um because they were payin a few pennies more, same old story when theirs nowt left blame evry body else............we need to look at what we are doin here as well as the spanish etc.............

·
Registered
68 Posts
A firm in Lowestoft is trying to bring about this 'Business diversity'. Firstly in the North Sea and then they hope it'll catch on around Britain. They've invested heavily in the factory in readiness. As Tope don't reach breeding maturity till about eleven years of age and there's no enforced 'minimum size' it shouldn't take them long to clean them right out. Full article and details are at:
http://www.anglers-net.co.uk/sacn/latest/index.php?view=326

·
Banned
396 Posts
Mike Thrussell Jr said:
Or we could put the Royal Navy to some good use?

Just a suggestion.

Mike Jnr
no what you mean mike, its a good job the icelanders put there fleet out against us or there would be even less cod.
looking at the way they manage their marine enviroment is a lesson for all.
also a lesson in what can be done if you are not part of the common fisheries policy.............i think with what blair has to deal with now any policies benefiting fish stocks will be well and truly on the old back burner.......
i wonder if we could vote the icelandic goverment in here??
or the norwegians.............sorry im dreamin again :D

·
Registered
164 Posts
Norwegian fishery policy eh - mmmn maybe we could get stuck into harpooning peterb's basking sharks - I don't think there is a model that fits everyone, except perhaps trying to keep the whole thing in some form of sensible scale where a fishery can be harvested instead of devestated.

·
Banned
396 Posts
i no that no country is perfect cs but i am biased towards the cod as many anglers are, and norway is promoting conservation in this area moving into recreational fishing for cod etc........... they will do very well to....... the scarcer the cod get here the more of us britts will be saving up for a weeks fishing in norway instead of wasting our time on charter trips which are producing less and less...........

·
Registered
150 Posts
Norwegian fish conservation isn't all that to talk about yet, I guess the only fish we've managed to keep up in safe numbers are herring and cod. It is still the commercial fishing fleet which dictates fish conservation. Luckily we've started to see signs that some species are on their way back in numbers due to the reduction of small, coastal fisheries. The ethics are also in change, with questions raised about fish dumping and illegal fishing, and consumers demanding "clean" fish. We've had several several campaigns against political decisions with protest letters sent to the authorities on Nowegian sportsfisher websites, and I hope this is a consideration in future decisions.

Another thing is that we've finally started to realize there is a lot of money in fishing tourism, and that this is a much better way to conservate than commercial fishing. This is also providing work in places where the fishing industry has been traditionally strong. Fishing is still good in Norway, three of my friends went to Röst in Nortern Norway last week, and they hauled cod to 50 lb, coalfish to 30-35 lb and a bonus halibut which weighed 45 lb:)

What is really exiting is that new species is starting to establish because of warmer water. Seabass is spawning in the Oslofjord and has started to establish on the western coast, and thicklip grey mullet, seabream and red mullet are possible to target at some locations.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts