World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to have a go at Kimmeridge soon for bass. Any forum members who are familiar with the mark fancy showing me the ropes? It's a safety thing firstly as I'm always cautious when fishing a mark alone for the first time, it's also nice to fish with someone else and learn a thing or two....
Not sure how this request will be met as I know bass anglers CAN be secret squirrels...
I'm in Dorset, so can go pretty much anytime.
Cheers
Pete

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I'm looking to have a go at Kimmeridge soon for bass. Any forum members who are familiar with the mark fancy showing me the ropes? It's a safety thing firstly as I'm always cautious when fishing a mark alone for the first time, it's also nice to fish with someone else and learn a thing or two....
Not sure how this request will be met as I know bass anglers CAN be secret squirrels...
Cheers
Pete
Like any mark, it's got a learning curve that you've got to go through.

Firstly, you can get cut off by the tide, so I'd suggest walking the coastal path and taking a look at it on a couple of good size tides to understand how high they get. You do not want to get trapped against those cliffs. For a first sortie, I'd fish a falling tide so you understand when you can access to the various little coves. Make good notes so when you fish it on a rising tide you'll better understand the cut-off points. Make note of any cliff retreats in case you do get cut-off.

Secondly, there are rock falls, so beware walking close to the cliffs. In some places it can't be avoided but I wear a helmet when walking that particular mark AND it has already saved me from a cricket ball sized lump that bounced off the top. The chances of being hit are slim, but a number of us have had close calls so be warned.

To the right of the car park is the firing range, so mid week and some weekends you can't go past 'red flag'. If you do, you'll be spotted by the MoD lookout and told to get back. You can look up the opening times for access by looking up Lulworth ranges ( Lulworth firing times )

To the left, there are fertile hunting grounds, but hit and miss. You've really got to learn the tides and when it's firing. I've blanked plenty of times but ;like any other Dorset mark, it can throw up a good fish on its day. Most anglers don't want to be spoon fed, they want to work things out for themselves and once you crack the code it will reward you. Even blanking, it's a nice place to be.

It's shallow for the most part, so big waves write it off.

Shallow divers and top water lures, like any shallow mark, are the order of the day. Softs also work.

SCG :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice Perch by the way.
Thanks for the advice...yes, my PB from the Somerset levels a few months ago. 3lb 8oz
That fish will be over 4lb in March.
I do like to learn the hard way, even the bad days are worthwhile. It was a safety request really, which you've helped with. Would you say going right at weekends towards range is better than left towards Chapmans?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Thanks for the advice...yes, my PB from the Somerset levels a few months ago. 3lb 8oz
That fish will be over 4lb in March.
I do like to learn the hard way, even the bad days are worthwhile. It was a safety request really, which you've helped with. Would you say going right at weekends towards range is better than left towards Chapmans?
Depends where the fish are to be honest. I'm out of the loop on Kimmeridge as I'm not Dorset based and haven't fished it for at least 3 years, so I'm not the right person to ask right now. Left and right sides have their days and I've had good fish both sides (I've also blanked spectacularly on both sides as well). When it does fire, like any mark, it's good, but don't expect instant results and don't expect to bag up.

·
Registered
10,416 Posts
Cheers
Pete

·
Registered
737 Posts
I started fishing Kimmeridge some years back and have really only scratched the surface in terms with getting to grips and understanding conditions. My first suggestion would be to head down at decent low water tides in the light and scope out the area, you can see gullies, fingers and areas that the bass will hold up in.

As others have said, there are pinch points so be careful not to visit on large tides and/or particularly windy days which might cut you off at HW… until you’ve got more familiar with the area.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I started fishing Kimmeridge some years back and have really only scratched the surface in terms with getting to grips and understanding conditions. My first suggestion would be to head down at decent low water tides in the light and scope out the area, you can see gullies, fingers and areas that the bass will hold up in.

as others have said, there are pinch points so be careful not to visit on large tides and/or particularly windy days which might cut you off at HW… until you’ve got more familiar with the area.
Thanks for the advice... much appreciated
Pete

1 - 8 of 8 Posts