World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,
I returned to Kinghorn beach last night to have another go after my visit last week. I really wanted to fish four rods, but after a long day digging tree stumps in the garden I decided to take the lighter option and fish with just two.
After my previous efforts with the flounder rigs going to plan, I decided to stick with them and not change things too much. I fished one rig, a double flapper with size 1 hooks on 2’ snoods and some bling on the bottom near the hooks. The other rig was the same only I used size 2 hooks instead. I tried gripper weights this time opting to ‘lock off’ on the bottom.....and I caught nothing!
After two hours of continual fresh baiting and trying different distances, I decided to change the plan. I continued with the small hooked flapper rig on one rod but changed to a pear shaped lead in the hope of some movement along the sea bed. On the other rod I went bigger with a pulley rig and a whole squid bound up nice and tight on a size 3/0 hook in the hope of a codling maybe....and I caught nothing.
By this time, the rag worm was knocking on deaths door and the mackerel tips were turning to mush. The tide was now right out and I was considering an exit after another rain storm went through. But this man is not for turning and I decided after a little team talk with myself to have one last try. Out came the flapper rigs again and some nice big gripper leads. What I needed was a bit of distance to try and get over the waves of the shallow waters in front. I walked my rods out on the rest right up to the water, slid the bottom cups up high to get the rod tips as high as possible and walked into the sea for the last half hour hoping not too blank on the night....and it worked!

Now don’t get excited as when you see the picture you will probably laugh at the miniature stature of my catch BUT, after walking out the left rod up to my boot tops, I cast out for another try and walked back to the rest. I tensioned the line, set the drag and waited. I didn’t have to wait long though. What at first I thought was the line getting caught in the waves, started to look like an irregular pattern compared to the other rod. I had a double take and my interest rose as I focussed on that rod tip. Again it seemed to move slightly and quiver a little. Nope I thought, it’s nothng but I’ll reel it in anyway. There to my surprise was my first Coalfish doing his very best to avoid a case of mistaken identity for a grip lead. A tiddler by all accounts but it was reward enough on what could have been a blank. I chuckled when I took it off the hook as it looked a little lost in the palm of my hand but hey, they all count and it’s yet another reason for me to return for another try at catching something bigger.
Tight lines

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts