World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having Kingsnorth Power Station in the news reminded of many years ago when I had a boat in the Medway and we used to fish the outlet from the power station, the water was so warm that even on the coldest day during the winter the water was steaming and we used to catch loads of Bass and Mullet, the creek was just past the old Berry Wiggins pier, and if you did not know where to go you could soon find yourself stuck on a mudbank for a tide, I saw quite a few do this and it was almost impossible to pull them off. also I used to fish around the back of the jetties of Kingsnorth it was a bit difficult to find as it was a drive along a very narrow track then a long walk over fields, but there were loads of Flounders and school Bass there. I just happened to talking to somebody about Kingsnorth and it all came back to me, does anybody still fish there, although I did hear that part of the Medway is a nursery area for young fish, is this area part of it?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Having Kingsnorth Power Station in the news reminded of many years ago when I had a boat in the Medway and we used to fish the outlet from the power station, the water was so warm that even on the coldest day during the winter the water was steaming and we used to catch loads of Bass and Mullet, the creek was just past the old Berry Wiggins pier, and if you did not know where to go you could soon find yourself stuck on a mudbank for a tide, I saw quite a few do this and it was almost impossible to pull them off. also I used to fish around the back of the jetties of Kingsnorth it was a bit difficult to find as it was a drive along a very narrow track then a long walk over fields, but there were loads of Flounders and school Bass there. I just happened to talking to somebody about Kingsnorth and it all came back to me, does anybody still fish there, although I did hear that part of the Medway is a nursery area for young fish, is this area part of it?
are you mean the warmwater creek use to love that place monster mullet in the winter in the summer nip off to the bulwark for a few big bass

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah thats the place never fortunate enough to catch any of the big Mullet although we saw them, we use to fish there and then come out into the river and fish a deep hole (I cannot remember the buoy number) for the Cod when they use to be in the river in numbers and good size ones.Sandeel you must be old enough to remember Dick Foreman with the "Carol Ann" many a happy day on that boat the only fishing boat I knew that had a coal fired stove in the cabin plus a well stocked bar.

·
Registered
94 Posts
does anyone remember the wreck of the submarine that was out that way.You could see it in the mud at low tide.I think it was round oakham ness area although I cant be sure

·
Registered
472 Posts
Yeah thats the place never fortunate enough to catch any of the big Mullet although we saw them, we use to fish there and then come out into the river and fish a deep hole (I cannot remember the buoy number) for the Cod when they use to be in the river in numbers and good size ones.Sandeel you must be old enough to remember Dick Foreman with the "Carol Ann" many a happy day on that boat the only fishing boat I knew that had a coal fired stove in the cabin plus a well stocked bar.
dick forman where was he from

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the to main people i remember was wadey with the julie sue and maltese joe
I remember Wadey and Maltese Joe last time I saw him he was working in the bakery in Eastcourt Lane Gillingham and that was long time ago, Dick Foreman he also came from Gillingham somewhere off Beechings Way

·
Registered
472 Posts
I remember Wadey and Maltese Joe last time I saw him he was working in the bakery in Eastcourt Lane Gillingham and that was long time ago, Dick Foreman he also came from Gillingham somewhere off Beechings Way
the boat name is one i remember but not the fellows name i come from faversham but spent a lot of time angling and trawling in the mudway upset the freemen a few times

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
does anyone remember the wreck of the submarine that was out that way.You could see it in the mud at low tide.I think it was round oakham ness area although I cant be sure
The submarine was the Truculent she was sunk by being rammed in 1951, with a loss of life, not all the crew

·
Registered
272 Posts
1. Yes Damhead creek is definitely part of the Bass nursery area.
2. HMS Truculent sank in Oaze deep after collision with the Divina (there was some confusion as to the lights she was showing ). She was refloated and sold for scrap.
3. I think the submarine was a WW1 german boat that broke its tow after capture.
4. There was also a Messerschmidt out in Humble bee creek and in the early sixties I know it still had live cannon & MG ammo on board.

·
Registered
472 Posts
1. Yes Damhead creek is definitely part of the Bass nursery area.
2. HMS Truculent sank in Oaze deep after collision with the Divina (there was some confusion as to the lights she was showing ). She was refloated and sold for scrap.
3. I think the submarine was a WW1 german boat that broke its tow after capture.
4. There was also a Messerschmidt out in Humble bee creek and in the early sixties I know it still had live cannon & MG ammo on board.
have a mustang in the swale burried in the mud thats my retirment fund

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
she is in the book wrecks of the kent coast but thats not where she sunk she sunk down by the towers
Not sure then thats the only sub that I can recall that was sunk in this area, although it could have been a WW1 sub I am sure someone on this forum will come up with the answer

·
Registered
472 Posts
Not sure then thats the only sub that I can recall that was sunk in this area, although it could have been a WW1 sub I am sure some on this forum will come up with the answer
there is no more that i know of dads mate from queenbourgh said his dad was part of the salvage crew

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
have a mustang in the swale burried in the mud thats my retirment fund
You want to find a good wreck out there, but dont get caught as they tend to get a bit stroppy if you get caught plundering wrecks.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yes the submarine was on the mud.I have tried looking on google earth for it .I remember it being quite small.A mate of mine used to shoot out that way with the kent wildfowlers and he remembered it.Its definately not Truculent,that happened in the estuary mouth and i believe it may have been salvaged.I used to boat fish out of Ramsgate and the skipper showed me a picture of himself standing on a conning tower of a rusty old u boat.When we spoke about it apparently he was taking a party of anglers out and there it was sitting on the sands.The next day he took another party out and went to show them and it had gone...I believe when the Bulwark went down shortly after ww1 only one survived....People were picking up wreckage in their gardens in Rainham.There was a huge enquiry with rumours of sabotage (athough ww1 had finished)

·
Registered
472 Posts
Yes the submarine was on the mud.I have tried looking on google earth for it .I remember it being quite small.A mate of mine used to shoot out that way with the kent wildfowlers and he remembered it.Its definately not Truculent,that happened in the estuary mouth and i believe it may have been salvaged.I used to boat fish out of Ramsgate and the skipper showed me a picture of himself standing on a conning tower of a rusty old u boat.When we spoke about it apparently he was taking a party of anglers out and there it was sitting on the sands.The next day he took another party out and went to show them and it had gone...I believe when the Bulwark went down shortly after ww1 only one survived....People were picking up wreckage in their gardens in Rainham.There was a huge enquiry with rumours of sabotage (athough ww1 had finished)
i have a piece of coal which was stamped with admiralty mark and was traced to the balwark and i caught that off of the minster boom that must give some idea of how far it went they were like building blockes of pressed steamcoal all stamped with a certain mark which is how they traced it

·
Registered
94 Posts
Blimey.apparently there was only one eyewitness to the explosion,a matlow keeping watch on another ship which was also moored at kethole.there's some interesting stuff ive read about it on the net.Its a shame with all the history we have on the Medway that its been neglected.I often wonder what it must have been like during sail when you had the dockyard,or when the Dutch came up to upnor.Bet the fishing was better back then too.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Blimey.apparently there was only one eyewitness to the explosion,a matlow keeping watch on another ship which was also moored at kethole.there's some interesting stuff ive read about it on the net.Its a shame with all the history we have on the Medway that its been neglected.I often wonder what it must have been like during sail when you had the dockyard,or when the Dutch came up to upnor.Bet the fishing was better back then too.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It was better in the 70s as well, double figure cod were not uncommon, along with Haddock, Whiting, Flounders, Bass and of course Pout

1 - 20 of 35 Posts