World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
decided spur of the moment to head down kirkcudbright or mog for my first session down that way this evening overnight and saturday fishing.

having never been down that way i am keen for any advice on local marks, how to get there, how to fish etc.

we will have heavy gear such as used for east coast cod etc also taking the spinning gear. just looking really for a change, wouldn't mind getting a crack at some decent pollock and perhaps some sharkey type fish if we are lucky, lol. even a wee doggy would be a new species.

keen to try and catch a bass also after reading recent posts.

i am aware of a couple o marks through the forum, just i was hoping for a wee bit o help, it being the weekend i wouldn't want to arrive at an all night rave party, and have no back up plan! lol

suppose i could always go along to the wickerman if i can't get fishing, lol
cheers, baz

feel free to private message me if u dont wanna make public.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Hi mate, if yourecoming all the way down then you would be best to head down the mull,

Guaranteed fish

Dogs, mackerel, pollack wrasse etc,

Rumour has it a lot of tope were taken from the shore during the week at east tarbet bay so throwing out a big fish bait might give you some joy for tope conger and possible Huss

As you reach the mull there is a winding road all the way up to the carpark, on your left there are plenty of stances that give great fishing, take your time as the grass is sippy even in dry weather but you will def catch a lot of fish there particularly in the evening

Good luck

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers m8, nearly there now, may try some other spots tomorrow

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well we are just back, had a nice wee break from the old routine and a few fish also....
the dogs were out!!!!! lol

managed a lot o wee pollock as well but plagued by the dogs. the first one was ok as it was a new species but after that became a bit routine, definately gonna try back down there again, beautiful place, not too much litter i must add, and certainly no more after we left!

think i may try to get down for two or three days, taking in a boat trip wi the onyermarks boys, see how things go

any tips on how to avoid the doggies? other than not fishing the bottom. it got to the stage where i was grudging putting out premium peeler and mackie baits after the second dog! lol

or has anyone got a doggie cook book! lol
baz

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
glad we don't get em on the east coast, are there any BIG doggies ever caught?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Its lovely meat if you can get the skin off !!! the way my mrs does them (with the skin on ) is similar to trout.....put butter in the belly cavity and wrap them in tin foil and bake in the oven....its all meat and very very little waste.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
any tips on how to avoid the doggies? other than not fishing the bottom.

The only way I can avoid them is by fishing with Lug instead of Rag.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.