World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to finally get off the mark and get out fishing this summer so settled on a local KBT mark seeing as high tide was around tea time.

Only had squid and bluey for bait so thought it'd just be dogs all day long. Arrived at mark around 1.30pm and weather was not too bad - a bit blowy but the sea was no too rough.

To cut a long story short caught endless doggies but also this sweet peach - first smoothie!

What a fight they give and this one looked in excellent condition - around 5 or 6lbs I reckon. Now I know why folk get up in the middle of the night for these!

Anyway I'm not too sure if it's a common or a starry so please advise.

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
469 Posts
sorry mate can't help you with kind.

but well done on your first smoothie hoping to catch one myself soon. well done again:victory:

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Its a starry mate, well done, sometimes the spots are very pronounced and sometimes less. But just to put the cat among the pigeons, I read a paper somewhere (will try and find it) about commons and starry's in the UK: apparently a group had been using DNA to seperate the species and out of the fish sampled there were no commons from UK waters, only Mustelus asterias aka starry's ;)

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Decided to finally get off the mark and get out fishing this summer so settled on a local KBT mark seeing as high tide was around tea time.

Only had squid and bluey for bait so thought it'd just be dogs all day long. Arrived at mark around 1.30pm and weather was not too bad - a bit blowy but the sea was no too rough.

To cut a long story short caught endless doggies but also this sweet peach - first smoothie!

What a fight they give and this one looked in excellent condition - around 5 or 6lbs I reckon. Now I know why folk get up in the middle of the night for these!

Anyway I'm not too sure if it's a common or a starry so please advise.

Cheers
:1a: well in there bud, about time you got out, if thats what your going to be catching :victory:

·
Specimen Hunter
3,276 Posts
well done fella, yup its a starry and yup what lewis said has been published in papers ( scientifinc research ) a while back , so we are told

·
Registered
5,894 Posts
nice one mate ,you will now be getting a nice dose of smoothie fever ,only cure targetting them for several weeks !
cheers rab

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Well done on that fish :fishing: Caught my first smoothie last month. They are all on steroids !!!!!!!

Mc Snatcher :fishing1:

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys, was a lovely looking fish, thankfully hooked easily in lower jaw so no bother unhooking it - was on my own. Wanted to make sure it went back ok

nice one mate ,you will now be getting a nice dose of smoothie fever ,only cure targetting them for several weeks !
cheers rab
damn right! So...... who's up for some smoothie hunting in the next week or two ?

p.s. hec you got pm

·
Banned
8,125 Posts
Thanks guys, was a lovely looking fish, thankfully hooked easily in lower jaw so no bother unhooking it - was on my own. Wanted to make sure it went back ok

damn right! So...... who's up for some smoothie hunting in the next week or two ?

p.s. hec you got pm
Nice fish mate, well done.......:clap3:

Nice also to hear of one locally caught, and not on the crab only diet plan........:thumbs:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts