World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gents
Wind north west whistling up from the right with mostly clear skies and the occasional wintery shower.
Not the usual detail, but here goes fished the morning tide, first baits hit the water at 6.45 to 11.30 with tide 20 meters off the front of the wall. Hit the first of a few codling on the second cast, I was using circle hooks for the first time on one rod and aberdeens on the other. The first fish had been taken on the cicles and as advised, I left the bite to itself for five minutes. Though I had connected with the fish without striking, I cetainly wouldn't leave the bite that long again. When the fish came ashore the hook was nestling nicely in the scissors of the mouth but a hole had developed in the thin skin, which left the fish injured and could of easily resulted in a lost fish. Fish came on either one of my rods through the tide with final tally eight codlings from 4 to 8 oz and a dab again around 8 oz, most successful bait was some small king rag kindly left on the previous tide with lug a close second. The circle hooks proved the most successful but did miss two of the best bites of the session. Nice to be out agin and I will continue my comparison with the circles

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Great report Brian and good to see the circles worked for you. I tend to treat them as usual hooks bitewise, once I've convinced myself the fish is on I bring it in. Good to see a more lively session down there:thumbs:

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Nice precise report and plenty of action Brian! Really well done. Which bait proved to be best there mate? Khan

·
Registered
8,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers for the replies, I will head your advice on treating them as a normal hook Craig, best bait was small king rag Khan, they were left from the tide before by some kindly peep, I had black lug, blow lug mackerel

1 - 7 of 7 Posts