World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
At the beginning of the month Mike Thrussell Snr published a really interesting blog post titled 'Cabin Fever' I recommend anyone who hasn't already should have a read.

Since the blog post was written unfortunately the weather conditions haven't shown any signs of letting up in any significant way.
Sorely suffering a case of Cabin Fever - I thought I'd make the most of a slight gap in the poor weather and head out for a few hours.

I tied a few rigs, dug out a few mackerel frozen down in the summer; after a brief stop at Swansea tackle and bait to collect some frozen black lug, I made very good time down to the mumbles, passing the people gearing up for the Rock-Hoppers Open match at the George.

Arriving at Knab rock finding it busy, but not too bad. I plonked my self in a reasonable sized gap as the sand bank in front of my chosen spot began to cover.

First cast quickly resulted in a little schoolie, next was a little pollack, following cast the fish fell off as I lifted it out of the water. Next cast was a 5 bearded Rockling and Dab combo. The session was shaping up well in terms of bites and species.

As we got closer to high water - more and more people had the same idea as me, meaning my reasonable sized gap was now everyone fishing over each others shoulder, but its to be expected on such a good tide.

The fishing was fairly steady, bites and fish were coming pretty regularly - I only fish light gear at close range here which does have its down sides. Once the tide turned the stiff South Easterly wind was making bite detection a little hard fishing 2 rods.

As people began to leave I managed to get onto my 'usual spot', where I was able to sit down, holding one rod and watching the other... was really pleasant way to spend a Sunday evening.

The end result of the session was pretty good 10 species in total:
Schoolies x 4
Pollack x 1
Dab x 1
5 Bearded Rockling x 6
Whiting x 5
Coalfish x 2
Pouting x 1 (big bugger too)
Dogs x 2
Flounder x 1
Thicklipped mullet x 1

The mullet was the last fish of the session, caught on a rig about as far away from mullet fishing as you'd imagine. Wessex Rig, floating lumo beads and a slither of mackerel.

I'm sure if I would have stuck around a little longer I'd have found a few more fish, but it seemed a fitting end to what was a really enjoyable session.

I sit writing this report feeling happy that my cabin fever has been cured... for now.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Fished it myself but only had a few dogs. Was great to get out and met a few nice people too. Couldn't believe I could see the mullet swimming on the surface past us all

·
Team Loonz
8,189 Posts
Fantastic December result.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Great session with the way the weather has been , it really pays to scale down off there , well done on a good number of species session .

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Well done. You walked the mullet under our rods. Me and my two mates had dogs, dabs, pout, schoolies, coalie and whiting between us.
Pretty much a bite a cast.

I had one lovely whiting which was made into fish bites this afternoon along with another I caught two weeks ago. (Thanks daiboy for the inspiration!).

Calm weather to start but it got quite gusty in the end. Nice to have a varied catch and plenty of knocks!

G

·
0 Posts
I love a good knab rock thread;)
read the blog post!
nice mullet for the time of year!

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
A great session for December Dean. I was enjoying a pint or several with Mr T that evening and had a short session in front of his house this morning. We had whiting, the inevitable dogs and I had a solitary flounder of 1-07 which was my second PB in a week.

·
Registered
336 Posts
We fished next to you dean, well until it got crowded. The youngster enjoyed himself and mission accomplished caught a Swansea bay shark! Nice to see lots a baby bass around , hope they come back as big ones. At least he had one species you didn't in his flounder first cast. Mind you he was more chuffed with his doggie.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We fished next to you dean, well until it got crowded. The youngster enjoyed himself and mission accomplished caught a Swansea bay shark! Nice to see lots a baby bass around , hope they come back as big ones. At least he had one species you didn't in his flounder first cast. Mind you he was more chuffed with his doggie.
Very nice to have met you, glad the youngster enjoyed - I hope you lived up to you £1 first fish bet ;)

It did get a little cosy down there didn't it! I fish mostly on boats so you'd think I'd be used to fishing in close proximity to others, but on the shore, weirdly it really stresses me out when someone comes down and setups up within 10ft of your rods. I thought fishing was supposed to be relaxing:mad:! Something you've got to put up with fishing popular venues though :).

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
Probably the best mixed species session I have seen on this forum, well done, which fish gave the best fight ?

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Probably the best mixed species session I have seen on this forum, well done, which fish gave the best fight ?
Thanks mate. Probably the mullet, but it was the biggest fish by weight. I had to drag it along the wall but other than the odd run it wasn't too eventful. I often find they dont fight as well in the night, I catch reasonable numbers in the marina after dark and often their up and in the net before they make their first proper run.

The coalfish fought very well, for their size (10-12oz) if they were the same size as the mullet I think they'd have really be a lot of fun on the light gear. Just wish there were bigger ones locally.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts