World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I charged in like a bull at a gate over this "registration fee" we were going to have to pay! WRONG!!!!!
Provided you are registered (free) or are a member of a recognised club, (if you are from "away" take your membership card)! you will be able to go through the barrier that will be manned by Council Staff from 0800 to 2000 free of charge!
Between 2000 & 0800 the barrier will be unmanned & OPEN!
Only jetskiers will be charged the registration fee! & somebody from the local jetski club will be on hand at the barrier, to take any "flack" from stroppy jetskiers.
Now if we could get a similar arrangement with trawlers & gill netters, what a wonderful world this would be!
blueskip

·
Registered
325 Posts
excellent bit of detective work mr skip you have put my mind at rest!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
just subscribed and need some help, ive just started sea fishing used to do fly fishing, so i need to know about bream fishing. What sort of rigs should i use. Will be going again early May, out about ten miles of the portsmouth coast.
Any tips would be very helpfull, also smoothound on the same day.

REMEMBER i am very green at this and thats not sea sickness

Matt

·
Registered
54 Posts
blueskip said:
I charged in like a bull at a gate over this "registration fee" we were going to have to pay! WRONG!!!!!
Provided you are registered (free) or are a member of a recognised club, (if you are from "away" take your membership card)! you will be able to go through the barrier that will be manned by Council Staff from 0800 to 2000 free of charge!
Between 2000 & 0800 the barrier will be unmanned & OPEN!
Only jetskiers will be charged the registration fee! & somebody from the local jetski club will be on hand at the barrier, to take any "flack" from stroppy jetskiers.
Now if we could get a similar arrangement with trawlers & gill netters, what a wonderful world this would be!
blueskip

Thanx for the info blueskip. I am from 'away' (but am often 'there'!) and was following the original thread with interest as we would like to be able to get round to Gower and Swansea on occasion. I wondering how to go about registering and what this would cost. I'll make the effort and ring the council now.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Registration costs nothing, you get an application form, either from the Knab Rock Office, or by contacting Water Safety Office via www.swansea.gov.uk & they will send you one.
Its a simple little form that wants name , address, etc, details of your 3rd Party insurance policy number, boat name etc, etc.
They issue you with stick on numbers that show you are registered as a user, & you have full use of the slips, no charge, except for the parking fee April to Oct.
Its a way of checking out who is arseing about on the water, by seeing the number on the boat.
By the way, according to last night's local paper, there is now a genuine policeman on a waterbike that can do 50mph, policing the Bay during the summer, I love it!
blueskip

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mattloz you seem to be in the wrong thread, but it matters not!
To catch bream use a "paternoster" set up (see rigs & knots if you are unsure), try to space out the distance between "droppers" as far as you can manage, (you are limited by the length of your rod).
They are finnicky feeders & could be on the bottom, 6ft up, or 10ft up, by spreading out your "droppers" you can cover more water above the seabed.
Use small strong hooks, size 1 or smaller, small strips of squid, or worm/squid, dont leave too much "flapping" or they will rip it off & you are fishing with bare hooks.
In the words of the old indians "endeavour to persevere"!
blueskip

·
Registered
54 Posts
blueskip said:
Registration costs nothing, you get an application form, either from the Knab Rock Office, or by contacting Water Safety Office via www.swansea.gov.uk & they will send you one.
Its a simple little form that wants name , address, etc, details of your 3rd Party insurance policy number, boat name etc, etc.
They issue you with stick on numbers that show you are registered as a user, & you have full use of the slips, no charge, except for the parking fee April to Oct.
Its a way of checking out who is arseing about on the water, by seeing the number on the boat.
By the way, according to last night's local paper, there is now a genuine policeman on a waterbike that can do 50mph, policing the Bay during the summer, I love it!
blueskip

More cheers to you blueskip,

have e-mailed the link you posted. (will have to peel off my Windermere numbers or you won't see the boat for numbers at this rate!!)

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The link to the registration details is via Tourism, Boat Registration in the search box, should put you on track!
blueskip

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hi blueskip a little more on the subject off my brother in law Hi aHI
TRAINER
thanks for your e-mail

policed correctly
the council could not cope with the influx of new skiers hitting the water also they didnt know what they could or coudnt do

as of now the club has involved the local police who are trying to get on the water in mumbles this summer
the police have done the water training last week
in portalbot
we need to get people trained
we also need responsible jetskiers to say what they think
if the club is succsesful it will police itself

before no one reported incidents that happened on the water
all we ask now is take the number from the ski and send an e-mail to the club
it will be handled within 1 week
1 letter / 2 six mths ban/or fine / 3 banned for 1yr

day passes are only offered to someone
who has given all there details over
if they sign for day pass this is as good as being member for 1 day
club rules apply break the rules your out

we may not get it wright straight away
but we will get it wright

thanks
huw
chairman mjsc

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jury, its that word "responsible" isn't it, I remember water skier's back in the 60s/70s getting a terrible name because they used to bomb through the moorings causing a wash & a nuisance & a danger, taking anglers lines as they went.
But they formed a club, put up their slalom course & jump well away from everybody else, & nowadays people go down to watch them perform, you never see or hear them nowadays.
Doubtless the Jetskier's will become the same when the "novelty" has worn off, & the "dreg" element, who make everybody's life a misery, have either moved onto something else to annoy people, or have developed bad knees or whatever ailment jetskiers get?
Excellent idea the numbers, that will deter people from making rissoles of themselves because they can be traced, all we need now is to put numbers on the "gin palaces" of the "Birmingham Navy" who cause a bigger wake than a jetski, but pass just as close at the same speed.
Ahhhhh if only everybody was like me, there would be no trouble at all on the water, & no parking tickets issued by the new Plod Flotilla!
blueskip

·
Registered
54 Posts
blueskip said:
Jury, its that word "responsible" isn't it, I remember water skier's back in the 60s/70s getting a terrible name because they used to bomb through the moorings causing a wash & a nuisance & a danger, taking anglers lines as they went.
But they formed a club, put up their slalom course & jump well away from everybody else, & nowadays people go down to watch them perform, you never see or hear them nowadays.
Doubtless the Jetskier's will become the same when the "novelty" has worn off, & the "dreg" element, who make everybody's life a misery, have either moved onto something else to annoy people, or have developed bad knees or whatever ailment jetskiers get?
Excellent idea the numbers, that will deter people from making rissoles of themselves because they can be traced, all we need now is to put numbers on the "gin palaces" of the "Birmingham Navy" who cause a bigger wake than a jetski, but pass just as close at the same speed.
Ahhhhh if only everybody was like me, there would be no trouble at all on the water, & no parking tickets issued by the new Plod Flotilla!
blueskip
Hope the idea will spread too blueskip,
there were jet-skiers in the Haven on Easter saturday and whilst they weren't a direct pain, we were bracing ourselves for some potential conflict which will, no doubt, occur sooner or later. A friend of ours took revenge in a highly amusing way but it's not a story to be repeated as it was a case of the fisherman sinking to the same levels as the dregs really, (which is not generally to be encouraged). :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts