World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Team Foreshore
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me, 2 of my closest friends, the mrs and her friend went to the knap today. Only I was fishing but it was to nice so we went there for the day.

Set up, armed with sand eel and squid. First cast was sandeel on a pennel rig cast abt 150 yards+.

My 2 friends wanted to go to morrisons for opening time to get a disposable bbq and some grub, so left the two girls to watch the rod.

Half an hour passes and we return. I quickly get back to the rod and ask them has it moved at all?....

The Mrs: "not an inch".

I strike into it to recast and feel a massive weight sat on the end, :g: and while reeling in i could see the line swimming left to right fighting and sitting tight on the bottom. Ray I thought. Lifted him to the surface around 45-50 yards out and kept him on surface, clearly a ray now but was worried abt getting him in... never had one before.

After a few more mins i finally get him beached. 6.5lb blonde ray. Exstatic and shaking with excitement!, Amazing feeling. Second cast was sandeel again trying my luck? - and why not. Small shiver in the tip of the rod and i struck into something, felt good but was very light... thought it may have come off.

Got it in to find a 1lb (approx) turbot had swallowed the whole sandeel. Get it out and that was the end of the action, didnt see anyone else catch anything unfortunately... maybe it was my turn for a lucky day.

Will post pics when i get them off the Mrs phone.

Fun day, and fun sun burn all around. Rubbish cleared up and returned etc.

Tight lines.

Jon

Edit: Pics added.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
well done m8:thumbs:

·
Team Foreshore
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no pics weren't there when i first posted. Had to get pics off mrs phone.

Thanks for identifying it, as you can clearly see im still learning!.

Much appreciate the kind words you've all posted. I'm still over the moon about the ray :).

Hope the pics aren't to bad, they were taken by phone obv as we left camera at home :eek:hmy:

Thanks again all ^^.

Jon :showoff:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well done on the catch mate, i was only up the road as they say on porthkerry pebbles. The mrs wanted to bask in the sunshine so wat better excuse than to go fishing:yeah:

Unfortunately i was feeding the crabs again missed one bite early on and then that was it.

I will catch a fish one day!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts