World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm not trying to state the obvious we all know knives are dangerous but i thought i'd relay i little tale to you ,fishing off langland today we saw a little boat fishing, everyone looked comfy fishing on it . when it came time to retrieve my boat this little boat pulled in behind us with a guy with a big bandage pad on his face,apparently he was using the knife in his right hand, with nowhere to put the bait to cut it , he pulled up and cut into his lip under his nose slicing it to the corner of his lip!it all looked held in place until he had to speak on his phone and it was like something out of a horror film,so again be CAREFULL!

G

·
I keep my knife very sharp, I accidentally ttrouched the blade and my finger didnt stop bleeding for over an hour. Just be careful with the knives!

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
As someone who teaches people to drive, take it from me. There are times when the obvious needs to be stated and stated again. Good advice, Dog Hop.

G

·
And some people don't listen, I always people who are going to use my knife, it is VERY SHARP, also, it is kept hidden from the members of the public just in case someone decides to grab it by the blade!

G

·
Was fishing off Scrabster the other month and the sea had a slight chop on it. On the return back ino port we hit a waves whilst i was gutting my cog and i put the filleting knife 1.5 inches into the palm of my hand. :eek: Smarted like mad and didn't stop bleeding for about an hour. Lesson is to be more aware of what is happening around you when filleting.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Heres a tip.

When on the rocks, and you are using your knife to shell mussels, please try and remember which hand the empty shell is in, and which hand the knife is in.

Failure to comply with this procedure will result in throwing your knife in to the sea.

I discovered the above procedure would be useful after chucking my knife into 40 ft of water last winter. The empty shell I was left with, did not prove to be as good as a knife at shelling the remaining mussels I'm afraid. :eek:

G

·
I have two old (blunt) knives that i use for shelling mussel. I 'borrowed' them from the mess on camp. I learned to use the blunt knife after again sticking a sharp knife into my hand years ago.

Even better then doing it on the shore/rocks is to do it at home lol :D

·
Registered
210 Posts
having heard of a a bloke impaling his hand whilst cutting bait on a remote rock mark down here in cornwall, i now always take extra care when preparing bait and useing bait knives!

will

·
Registered
701 Posts
I've been on a couple of charters and seen people stick the knife into the bait board, till the skipper told of the trip when he hit a wave, some one lost his balance and put his hand out to stop from falling overr, unfortunetly for him he found the bait board and the knife went between his fingers, all his body weight behind it ! seperated his fingers halve down the hand, I suspect that more than stung....

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Such good advice! My memos. are:
  • Knives for cutting should be as sharp as possible and kept in a scabbard when not in use!
  • If you are going to cut something - bait, filleting, then have a board with you for the purpose
  • If you are cutting old stuff up then keep the blade very clean 'cos the gung may be transferred to your blood system
  • Knives for opening mussels should be blunt and short bladed, 'cos if ever there was an opportunity for injury then it's a blunt blade sliding off a shell. (Go on tell me it should be a sharp one, habit is a dreadful thing!)
Does anyone know if the old 'jack' knife is still available? Seem to remember that the blade was rigid and the marlin spike useful. Loved the yarn about throwing the knife away instead of the shell by the way, you are not alone!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts