World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me?

I'm trying to tie a 60 lb leader to a snap swivel but every knot i use seems end in a mash, this is usually the knots which involve twisting.

can anyone recommend a suitable strong knot and explain or diagrams step by step?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Knot I always use is simplicity itself: take end of tline and fold it back on itself then make a simple overhand knot this produces a loop push this through the eye of the swivel then back over the rest of it and pull tight - trim the tag and away you go. Sometimes it takes two overhand knots to lock against each other but I can't remember ever having one of these fail on me.

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Look at the 'knots' section in 'Rigs and Knots' up to the left of this page. White writing on Blue background.

When using thick mono I've always used a three turn blood knot, puklled tight and the tag end 'blobbed' by melting in a match flame. The one recommended is the tucked half blood knot.

Try the simpler (Just!) three turn blood knot.
  • Pass the end of your line through the eye of the swivel
  • Pass it three times around itself
  • Pass the end back through the gap/space between the eye of the swivel and the twisted line.
  • Moisten with spit and gradually pull tight (use a plyer if it won't pull up, but be careful, don't damage/weaken it!).
  • Cut off the tag end and 'blob' with small flame, JUST THE VERY END!
I now use a GRINNER knot with everything smaller than about 35lb. It's very similar but the end is tucked and the tag end comes out IN LINE with the running line and is therefore neater. Look for it in the Sea Angler Book of Rigs, although this site's stuff is great and FREE!!!!

The grinner is one of the knots on Fizz's link above which is a great link - good one Fizz!

·
Registered
133 Posts
I was on one of my let's see what I can find on the web, in this case it was knots. Have a look at this web site. it describes almost every knot you can think of and its usage. I use the uni-knot for hooks and swivels. For a leader knot I simply tie a granny knot pass the line up through the knot. pull the granny knot tight, and I mean tight, then do a simple blood knot then tighten the two together making sure the line is wet, spit on it. Pull it together slowly to avoid friction damage. Cut off the ends as close as you can, use nail clippers or scissors, leaving a very small tag on the granny knot.
http://www.thaifishingguide.com/index.html

have fun practicing

Martin

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Yet again a great link and, as you say, just about every knot! (the knots/how to tie them are taken from a book published by the Austrailian Fishing Network it seems, I found them on
http://www.afn.com.au/
I found the book in question, though wonder if it really is written by an Austrailian, there's a picture of the author and he hasn't got one of those hats on, the one with the corks? Neither has he a uniform with arrows on it!!
The Thai fishing site, with the Knots, also has just masses of other fishing bits and pieces including Travel.

Just one point though, are we allowed to write 'Phuket' on this site? Didn't realise it was a place! It's what I usually shout just before I pack up!

·
Registered
116 Posts
If you are intending using the uni knot (as shown in the rigs and knots bit of WSF) I find it a lot easier when you are beginning the knot to, rather than doubling the line by holding one against the other (before making a loop), it is easier to make 2/3 twists up the first line, then looping it, then making another say 5 twists up the line away from the hook. You then moisten and pull tightish, pull the knot down the line towards the hook then pull tight again.

This is far less fiddly and you produce the same knot, than the way that is always shown. Don't know why (somebody will probably tell me) this isn't used.

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/aquarium/diary/rigs/grinner.html

Have just looked up the grinner/uni in google, seems some do show this way..... but not all

1 - 8 of 8 Posts