World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
10,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just an idea for mini fish / goby bashing has anyone tried krilled maggot ?
If you do not need a larger artificial with Its own action it may be a cheap alternative to small isome pieces.
Freeze maggot of chosen colour with some powdered krill (disguise It and do not tell the wife) and you could take a ziplock bag full with you any time and re-freeze leftover bait.
You could even put some loose feed in and not bankrupt yourself .:g:

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Bog standard live maggots work fine for aggressive mini species. Bread too. I've also caught blennies and sea scorpions using pepperami. :-D

Isome is full of amino acids. Fish can probably detect these chemical signatures, it tells them something is edible and this is why Isome is so effective.

Marukyu is one of the world's largest producers of bait.

·
Registered
10,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have caught plenty of small wrasse, black bream and smelt on live maggot while mullet fishing but i thought the fact that they were frozen would make the krill flavoured ones handy for lrf.
I think the krill powder may be another Maruyku product.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
You're probably right. Frozen flavoured maggots will probably catch. Loads of other cheap ways to fish tiny baits. Believe it or not I find raw prawn is a very cheap bait that can be frozen between sessions. Might be relatively expensive to buy but I find the same small chunk can be used for multiple fish as presentation isn't important. This means only a handful are required for a session. :)

G

·
ブラクリ Is a type of rock fishing, the difference between it and the styles we are familiar with is the fact that it is a bait delivery system.

[video=youtube;y9j56xM0i3M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=y9j56xM0i3M[/video]

G

·
You can also see it here;

[video=youtube;VButklYEC5U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=VButklYEC5U[/video]

·
Registered
10,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you are actively working it in my mind some bait can slip into the lure category, a spun or sunk and drawed sprat or sandeel for instance.

An old book i was reading last night mentioned a 'Plufeger porpoise skin phantom minnow' , apart from a visit from Greenpeace what would that be ?

G

·
Bait or lures. It's all the same to me and personally I think there's a big grey area in the middle.
No grey areas, we must have black and white! If we didn't have this kind of order where on earth would we be?!
Grey areas lead to diversity and we just can't have that now can we?

·
Registered
760 Posts
I guess krill can't smell any worse than gulp. Isome seems to be a better conventional bait for me than anything else we even had a sunfish chase one up on the surface when out in the channel.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Indeed. Bait is used in LRF though.
And I'll just repeat : This isn't the BAIT section it's the LURE section. Just thought I'd mention it.

The title of this part of the forum gives it away. LRF/HRF Lure Fishing.

Bait is something that is either still living or is dead eg worms, crab, bits of fish, liver, steak, maggots.
Lures are something used to imitate something that was once alive and fools the fish into thinking it is part of it's natural diet. Or lures are something used to entice or annoy a fish enough so that it attacks said lure.

Ask the mods to start a LRF/HRF Bait Fishing section then we can all discuss the merits of squid or slices of mackrel to use as.......oh hang on. That's taken care of in the normal Fishing with Bait Forum isn't it.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
And I'll just repeat : This isn't the BAIT section it's the LURE section. Just thought I'd mention it.

Bait is something that is either still living or is dead eg worms, crab, bits of fish, liver, steak, maggots.
Lures are something used to imitate something that was once alive and fools the fish into thinking it is part of it's natural diet. Or lures are something used to entice or annoy a fish enough so that it attacks said lure.

Ask the mods to start a LRF/HRF Bait Fishing section then we can all discuss the merits of squid or slices of mackrel to use as.......oh hang on. That's taken care of in the normal Fishing with Bait Forum isn't it.
Maybe a new section for trolls, smart arses and people who don't really contribute anything positive to threads is what we need? A kind of cesspit of negativity section.

As you're the one who seems to have a problem with this thread, you ask mods to move it.

I dare say if the OP had posted this thread in the bait section some miserable git would be moaning that it should be in the LRF section.

This forum is pretty dire at times. :giveup:

BTW, a large percentage of the discussion in the lure fishing section should probably be in the tackle section. :g:

·
The Ultra light Always doing it in style
4,945 Posts

Oxford English dictionary. "LURE"

Verb ; tempt[ a person or animal]to do something or to go somewhere especially by offering some form of reward.

Noun ; A TYPE OF BAIT USED IN FISHING OR HUNTING

To me they all do the same Job they attract or is it lure the fish to your hook, who cares if you want to split hairs.

·
Registered
10,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As i tried to say before it is not so much what you are using as what you are doing with it. :thumbs:

Fishing a mepps = lure

Fishing a mepps with nylon link and a little bit of ragworm for mullet = flavoured lure.

·
Team Loonz
8,189 Posts
Off topic slightly a minute....does anyone know what Isome worms are actually made from.....cant find any info.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts

100% behind you , had this same argument few months ago on my south Wales part about lure caught whiting when people kept on about catching them on slithers of fish on a jig head arhhhhhh I gave up in the end!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts