World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Must have been there same time as Lobster! we were there last week got back tuesday, 20mins south of Hellesoy a place called Kvernepollen.

There were big seas so had to fish in shelter so bang went my chance of a 20+ cod, decided to fish for pollock most of the time, some good fun catching them on beachcasters on various small islands, binned the beachcasters and changed to spinning rods and Shads (Bought from this forum) , they were deadly, must have lost as many as we caught in the kelp a nightmare at low tide.
Had a few small cod biggest about 5lbs ( biggest pollock 7lb) average 2-3lbs.

Decided to fish for Wolffish on the last day, I tried last time we were here with no luck, Had 2 biggest just under 25lb a dead weight till it hit the surface then all hell broke lose, tried to net it ,broke the net, dragged it over the side with the net tangled in its teeth and it started to go for us snapping like a dog weird eyes that follow you about, stood on its head unhooked it and had to get it to bite the towel to tangle it in its teeth to weigh it, The other 1 was about half that size ( cut it loose in the water), used 8/0 pennel conger rig with 4 squid tied on.

Our accomadation was spot on better than the dump we were in last year, we were fishing at night from our terrace caught flounder, pouting, coalies, and some good wrasse, took a prawn trap which supplied us with crabs for bait.

Its either back there or Iceland in September!!

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Some good stuff there and I am glad to hear you had a good time and good accomodation as myself and three mates are looking to go to this exact place next year. Are the facilities good ? The photo certainly makes the rooms look spot on but what else is there on Sotra is there anywhere to eat/drink/shop etc ? We are going over from Newcastle on the ferry so once in Norway shouldn't be too far to drive, we intend to load up with the essentials over here before we sail, is that advisable ?
I hope we catch some of those fish you had - well everything except that wolffish that looks too scary for words :eek:hnoes:
Cheers
Gary

·
Registered
968 Posts
:) Nice report there emberman. The last time we met at bervie i remember you said you were going to kvernepollen. I didn't realise it would be at the same time we 'd be in hellesoy. Like you said the weather was against us this time. Thats one cracking wolffish you bagged. I'm fair jealous of that one.
If i was you i'd stick to norway. The more you go the better the fishing gets as you learn the knowledge. Going to Iceland is like starting over again.
Mega numbers of cod in iceland but don't expect monsters.:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts