World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
LURE TOSSER
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for suggestions on letter labelling for a blank I'm building.
I'm not confident enough to write straight onto the blank, sloping text don't look good lol

·
Registered
99 Posts
Lots of ways of doing it - from fairly simple with little tools or equipment to lot more involved. I'm fairly well equipped for this now, but in the older days had the same problem. There is quite a bit of media around from special papers to stuff like the old fashioned 'lettraset', stick on labels etc.

If you don't fancy writing directly on the blank, remember you might have a number of shots at it (depending on the varnish on the blank) by just wiping the ink/paint off with a suitable solvent. I used to do this when signing expensive custom guitars and found that writing with a suitable pen/ink on waterslip decal material pretty good and then applying this to the rod/guitar. Protection with a couple coats of lacquer or high build when dry gave a very good result.
I use a similar process as one of my methods today, but the images are usually laser printer generated. I also have something that does foils and additionally a vinyl cutter.
Best of luck,
Cheers
Bob

·
Registered
99 Posts
If you have an ink jet (or better still laser) printer linked up to a computer then you can do all sorts of print outs. For dark surfaces use white waterslip paper but if you are on ink jet then remember to seal your decal with a coat of clear lacquer before you soak in water. With laser you don't need the clear coat as the ink is water resistant.
One sheet of A4 decal paper is less than a quid.
Have fun,
Bob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts