World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I put up a couple of threads recently regarding the overheat alarm going off and frightening the bejabus out of me on my Leeward, after several dockside discussions someone who is a mechanic said that it would probably be the thermostat and while he was having a look around the engine said that the cooling belts needed replacing as the tensioner pulley was not running square to the engine block as it should be, so with all parts ordered and bought and ready to be replaced, Andy (Egg Custard) and myself set about it with sockets and spanners whirling about everywhere.
Now the mechanics out there will say I'll have that done in an hour or so but first of all where is the manual, well I ain't no mechanic and I ain't got a manual but I will look at the bits in the box and see where they go on the engine.....easy easy......wrong, where in hell does that bit go.....oh for christ's sake I want to sell this boat the poxy thing, all of a sudden I kid you not Andy Pace a marine engineer walks by the boat and before he can escape is whisked onto the boat and is pointing and explaining where bits and pieces should go and if you read this forum Andy a big thank you m8. Well back to the story, we have now found out why the tensioner pulley was running ****ed, its because the bolt holding it into the bracket has sheared off and the bracket is well and truly part of the front of the engine !!! '' Don't panic Cpt Mannering Sir '' springs to mind, another quick conversation with Andy Pace and we seem to have another obstacle to get over to get to the offending pulley tensioner bracket, we have got to drop the alternator out and then undo the bolts holding the bracket onto the engine, now whoever designed these engines must off been really disturbed as children and thought up weird and wonderful places and angles of where to place bolts etc to get there own back on society, to get to this bracket and take it off involved 3 different socket sizes and 1 nut and bolt with a bloody nut to secure underneath the engine where you couldn't see it, this is where eggy came in to the fore as I think he has always fancied himself as a bit of a gynaecologist, right after struggling and sweating we have got the bracket off and can see where its all gone wrong....all we have got to do is drill and tap the remaining stub of the bolt and extract it, the time is now fast approaching lunch time and right on cue Mike from the marina walks by, ''hello m8 wonder if you can help us out'', now the offending bracket is up in Mikes lavish work shop and in minutes the offending bolt stub is out and we are in possesion of a brand new bolt....yeeeessssss !!
Back onto the boat and the tensioner pulley is secured back onto the bracket and said bracket is bolted back onto the engine.....now we are making progress, right now we need to put the belts back on.......I know the big one was bent around the other pulleys and should't be to hard to put back........oh how wrong can you be..you need a bloody ology in belt dynamics to work out which way round its got to go, another quick word with Andy Pace (lucky he was working on the boat moored next to me) and we are back in business, right the belts are back on and just the thermostat to replace, that wasn't to bad to replace and after we got the new gasket to hold up we are now ready to fire up the boilers.......key in and away she goes sounding as sweet as a nut.......bless.
Just a couple of pointers for any pseudo mechanics out there ....make sure you have good mates around you to help (big thank you Eggy) and make sure a proper mechanic is near by just to point you in the right direction when a second opinion is needed.......:doh:

Oh am I getting rid of Lady R.........what do you think......:love:

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Chris
i did so enjoy your post, having gone thro the same problems on my tensioner- see seized bolt thread, which became a sheared bolt, my mate arnt as usefull as yours so i gace it to the engineers!
greg

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chris
i did so enjoy your post, having gone thro the same problems on my tensioner- see seized bolt thread, which became a sheared bolt, my mate arnt as usefull as yours so i gace it to the engineers!
greg
Hi Greg,

The two Andy's played a blinder m8, I couldn't believe the kerfuffle just to change a bolt..we will have to join up off the head again and chase those bass..........:victory:

·
THE TROLLING MAESTRO
8,649 Posts
hi ..no problem chris it was a dirty pleasure....im glad she running ok again..dont forget the paint before you use her again..

we got there in the end..the good thing is thou.if it happens again we know where to look and how to fix it..and how easy a thermo and belt change is.. the yearly change will be a doddle.. its all down in the experience locker to..

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Hi Greg,

The two Andy's played a blinder m8, I couldn't believe the kerfuffle just to change a bolt..we will have to join up off the head again and chase those bass..........:victory:
i hope to get back to my normal haunts in the next week will bell you and andy and see if we can get to meet up and bash the bass
greg

·
THE TROLLING MAESTRO
8,649 Posts
i hope to get back to my normal haunts in the next week will bell you and andy and see if we can get to meet up and bash the bass
greg
hi greg..can i just say one thing..we will only be playing second fiddle to chris....he`s a bass dynamo..last trip out i was on net duty right from the start...and all day long...and i only found time once to put the kettle on....
yes lets go for it.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts